Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What happens to the gluon linking Quarks at time of formation of quark

1. Apr 3, 2013 #1
    what happens to the gluon linking Quarks at time of formation of quark star? whether the quark star consists of only quarks or quark gluon plasma?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There are not "some number of gluons linking quarks" in a baryon. It is more like a mess of short-living gluons and virtual quarks (and even that model can be problematic). So you just have merging messes of gluons, virtual and real quarks.

4. Apr 3, 2013 #3
    I must say I do not really understand the original formulation. My two cents nevertheless.

If you collide an electron with a positron at very high energies, and produce a quark-antiquark pair flying off back-to-back, some non-singlet (or "non-zero" if you will) color is flying with each member of the pair. That implies such two jets are not independent from the onset. One can be sure that there will be some amount of color neutralization via a lower energy, non-perturbative "messy" exchange, as mfb mentions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook