What Happens to the Graph of y=x^z as z Changes?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Graph
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
16 replies · 5K views
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
Messages
24,697
Reaction score
9,101
I don't have a 3D graphing program, so I'm trying to figure out the graph of y=x^z on paper.

y=x^2 forms a parabola while y=x^3 forms a ... other thing. There's got to be some sensical values to y as the exponent climbs through the values between them.
 
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
This function generates a surface rather than a curve. You can imagine it by considering different values of z, for example 0, 1, 2. At z = 0, you have x^0 and hence y = 1. At z = 1, you have y = x and at z = 2, y = x^2. Geometrically speaking, the so called surface will be so that it has the these functions of y as cross sections at the respective values of z. It's pretty easy to visualize on the positive side of z, for z < 1, and for x > 1, the surface concave in respect of X axis. For x < 1, the surface is convex. For z > 1, it's the inverse.
 
I'm looking at a graph of z=x^y right now using 'Grapher' on the mac.

It's not an easy function to visualize by drawing. It's got a 1st order saddle point.

It's pretty cool in the region about the x-z axes intersect.
 
christianjb said:
I'm looking at a graph of z=x^y right now using 'Grapher' on the mac.

It's not an easy function to visualize by drawing. It's got a 1st order saddle point.

It's pretty cool in the region about the x-z axes intersect.
Mind sending me a screen grab?
 
DaveC426913 said:
Mind sending me a screen grab?

What's the easiest way to send it?
 
See if this works.
 
Attachments
  • graphxy.jpg
    graphxy.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 519
Here's another view, and with contours.

You can see the saddle point quite clearly.
 
Attachments
  • graph2.jpg
    graph2.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:
The best way would be that Dave pm's you his email, and then you send it the picture to him as an attachment.
 
It does, though without labels I have little idea what the graph is showing. I'm presuming the x-axis runs top right to bottom left and the y-axis is vertical.

But if that graph were somewhere showing y=x^3, I would expect to see one of the cross sections symmetrical about (0,0) yet nowhere do I see any poiints below y=0
 
Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
It does, though without labels I have little idea what the graph is showing. I'm presuming the x-axis runs top right to bottom left and the y-axis is vertical.

But if that graph were somewhere showing y=x^3, I would expect to see one of the cross sections symmetrical about (0,0) yet nowhere do I see any poiints below y=0

The function is z=x^y The axis going out of the page (up) is the z axis. The function is not defined for -ve values of x.

Edit: This may be a little confusing, but e.g. (-1.4)^1.99 is not a real number, whereas (-1.4)^2 is. Thus the surface only exists for x>0
 
Last edited:
christianjb said:
Edit: This may be a little confusing, but e.g. (-1.4)^1.99 is not a real number,
So is it imaginary?


In the green graph: +x is upper left + y points lower left, right?

Shouldn't the slice through y at y=2 manifest as a parabola? I'm just not seeing it.
 
Last edited:
Oh now I see it. At y=2, x<0 is not rendered on the graph.

So, when y is fractional does it create imaginary numbers?
 
Attachments
  • PF070520z=y^x.gif
    PF070520z=y^x.gif
    28.9 KB · Views: 506
DaveC426913 said:
So is it imaginary?


In the green graph: +x is upper left + y points lower left, right?

Shouldn't the slice through y at y=2 manifest as a parabola? I'm just not seeing it.

No, you won't see it because x^y in the -ve x half is only real for integer values of y. It won't make a surface.

Again, for -ve values of x, x^2 exists, but x^1.999 doesn't (at least it's not real).

You will only see x^y for x>0.
 
DaveC426913 said:
Oh now I see it. At y=2, x<0 is not rendered on the graph.

So, when y is fractional does it create imaginary numbers?

Exactly. Try doing -4 ^ 1.9 on a calculator. It will return an error.

And, when y is any non integer, x is -ve, x^y does not exist on the real number line.
 
christianjb said:
Exactly. Try doing -4 ^ 1.9 on a calculator. It will return an error.

And, when y is any non integer, x is -ve, x^y does not exist on the real number line.
Right. This is actually what I'm after. My suspicion is that, as y changes from 2 to 3, the curve actually jumps from +z to -z - but since it's a continuum, that curve is going somewhere, and I think where it's going is into the imaginary space - as if, conceptually, the imaginary number space were a sort of "fourth dimension".