What has a better future? CS VS EE

In summary: EE has had a lot more startups that take advantage of big data. In summary, both fields have a bright future, but CS has a more interesting future according to the author.
Blackwinter
Computer science vs. Electrical engineering. Which of these disciplines has a more interesting future? In your opinion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Honestly, I don't see any of those getting bad in the near future.

Do you like them both the same? Have you looked at a day in the life of a CS and EE degree holder and see which you like most?

Even if you had defined what you mean by "interesting" I would not try to predict what the future holds for each profession. I can say that over the last fifty years, both have had a fascinating and financially rewarding history. However past performance is no guarantee of future returns. I'm not going to tell you that if you stick to field X that you'll have more money or fame.

Most of that depends upon what you put into it.

I think computer science has a more interesting future.

trickslapper said:
I think computer science has a more interesting future.

Why do you think that?

I just think computer science in general is more exciting than electrical engineering. I feel that there is more opportunity for innovation within the field on CS than EE.

This is an unanswerable question. In the late 90s CS had a bright future. It was in the tank from about 2000 through 2004 or so. In those years EEs were better off. Today the situation has reversed and CS is an in-demand field. Who knows what the future holds? No one does.

As for interesting, I find EE far-far more interesting than CS. But the thing it is that it's subjective. Some people find Civil Engineering more interesting than either EE or CS. It depends on the person.

You can make a cogent argument that there has been more innovation in EE lately, though. Most CS seems to be re-inventing things from the past. Centralized --> De-centralized --> Centralized --> De-centralized --> ??

What is the difference between Computer Science (CS) and Electrical Engineering (EE)?

Computer Science focuses on the study of algorithms, programming languages, software design, and computer systems, while Electrical Engineering focuses on the study of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism, with a focus on designing and developing electronic devices and systems.

Which field has better job prospects in the future, CS or EE?

Both CS and EE have excellent job prospects in the future, as technology continues to advance and require skilled professionals in both fields. However, CS may have a slight edge in terms of job growth and demand, as the demand for software and technology continues to increase in various industries.

Which field has a higher salary potential, CS or EE?

Both CS and EE professionals have high earning potential, as they are highly valued in the job market. However, CS professionals may have a slightly higher salary due to the high demand and specialized skills required for software development and other technology-related jobs.

Which field offers more opportunities for research and innovation?

Both CS and EE offer ample opportunities for research and innovation. In CS, research and innovation often focus on developing new algorithms, programming languages, and software systems. In EE, research and innovation may focus on developing new electronic devices, systems, and technologies. Ultimately, the best field for research and innovation depends on an individual's interests and strengths.

Can I pursue a career in both CS and EE?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a career in both CS and EE. Many professionals have a background in both fields and use their knowledge and skills in a variety of industries, such as robotics, artificial intelligence, and telecommunications. It may require additional education and training, but having knowledge and skills in both CS and EE can open up a wide range of career opportunities.