1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What has a better future? CS VS EE

1. Mar 3, 2014 #1
    Computer science vs. Electrical engineering. Which of these disciplines has a more interesting future? In your opinion.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2014 #2

DataGG

Gold Member

Honestly, I don't see any of those getting bad in the near future.

Do you like them both the same? Have you looked at a day in the life of a CS and EE degree holder and see which you like most?

4. Mar 3, 2014 #3
    Even if you had defined what you mean by "interesting" I would not try to predict what the future holds for each profession. I can say that over the last fifty years, both have had a fascinating and financially rewarding history. However past performance is no guarantee of future returns. I'm not going to tell you that if you stick to field X that you'll have more money or fame.

Most of that depends upon what you put in to it.

5. Mar 5, 2014 #4
    I think computer science has a more interesting future.

6. Mar 5, 2014 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why do you think that?

7. Mar 7, 2014 #6
    I just think computer science in general is more exciting than electrical engineering. I feel that there is more opportunity for innovation within the field on CS than EE.

8. Mar 7, 2014 #7

analogdesign

Science Advisor

This is an unanswerable question. In the late 90s CS had a bright future. It was in the tank from about 2000 through 2004 or so. In those years EEs were better off. Today the situation has reversed and CS is an in-demand field. Who knows what the future holds? No one does.

As for interesting, I find EE far-far more interesting than CS. But the thing it is that it's subjective. Some people find Civil Engineering more interesting than either EE or CS. It depends on the person.

You can make a cogent argument that there has been more innovation in EE lately, though. Most CS seems to be re-inventing things from the past. Centralized --> De-centralized --> Centralized --> De-centralized --> ??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook