1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biomedical/Aeronautical engineer -- Which has a better future?

1. Jan 7, 2015 #1
    Hello.

I am about to finish high school and I am interested in one of this two careers (especially aeronautical engineering). I am wondering which of these two has a better growth or projection for the future and which one would you recommend me.

I was also thinking about petroleum engineering but I am not sure I like it so much. So, what do you think and/or suggest about my career choices?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2015 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

People are going to continue to need to fly and to get medical treatment for the foreseeable future, so economically I think they are probably both pretty good in terms of future markets. Biomedical engineering will be highly influenced by changing demographics (more people getting older) and aeronautical engineering will be highly influenced by changing politics (more countries getting richer).

The more relevant questions are what are you basing your choices on? Are only economic considerations important or are there other factors that are important also?

4. Jan 7, 2015 #3
    The economical part is certainly important, but not as important as what I would want to do for the rest of my life. I love aircraft and spacecraft, and it is a dream of mine to help build one of those. Before actually considering aeronautical engineering, I was thinking about studying astrophysics (though I realized that it's way too theoretical, I want to build something). So, yeah, aeronautical engineering is definitely a passion of mine.

On the other hand, biomedical engineering is another career that catches my interest. Helping improve and diagnose the human body with physics and new technology is an amazing idea for me . Maybe even go a little away from it and go into nanotechnology, robotics and research.

Both careers deeply hold my interest, so I am just trying to chose the one that offers better projection for the future.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook