1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CS vs. Mechanical Eng - 2nd degree

1. Nov 4, 2014 #1
    Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum, so please let me know if I have made any mistakes in my posting location.

As mentioned in the title, I am returning to school for a second undergrad degree. My first degree was in Business Administration - which did not satisfy my academic needs (to say the least). I have always enjoyed more technical degrees and have long contemplated taking a STEM-based degree. I graduated in 4 years and I am now 22. Which leads me to my question:

(As many of you have much more experience than I do in many academic and career disciplines, I welcome any input.)

I am interested in pursuing a second degree in either Mechanical Engineering or Computer Science. Mechanical Engineering would take another full 4 years to complete, while CS would take only 2-2.5 years to complete. I have interests in both. I know both faculties offer good job prospects and a decent learning experience. Also, I enjoy programming (the little I know) and find CS topics interesting, however I do not know if I could sit behind a desk pressing buttons for my entire career. I know CS has become widely used in almost all technologies and many of the ones I am most interested in (automotive, security, avionics), however I feel more interested in Mechanical (but 4 more years for a bachelors.. yikes). What would you do?

Thank you everyone. Any input is very much appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2014 #2
    In the long run, doing what you love will be the best decision you make.

4. Nov 4, 2014 #3

esuna

Gold Member

If you are looking for something more technical and quantitative to study then I don't think CS will sate you.

5. Nov 4, 2014 #4
    Do you guys think that starting an engineering degree at 22/23 and finishing at 26/27 seems late? (Not that I am too concerned)

6. Nov 4, 2014 #5
    Late for what? You got a long life. Don't feel pressured to do anything. There are no rules. No set plans for how to live. We have members who went back to school in their 40s and now have a completely different career.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook