CS vs. Mechanical Eng - 2nd degree

In summary: Late for what? You got a long life. Don't feel pressured to do anything. There are no rules. No set plans for how to live. We have members who went back to school in their 40s and now have a completely different career.
DewYouKnow8
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum, so please let me know if I have made any mistakes in my posting location.

As mentioned in the title, I am returning to school for a second undergrad degree. My first degree was in Business Administration - which did not satisfy my academic needs (to say the least). I have always enjoyed more technical degrees and have long contemplated taking a STEM-based degree. I graduated in 4 years and I am now 22. Which leads me to my question:

(As many of you have much more experience than I do in many academic and career disciplines, I welcome any input.)

I am interested in pursuing a second degree in either Mechanical Engineering or Computer Science. Mechanical Engineering would take another full 4 years to complete, while CS would take only 2-2.5 years to complete. I have interests in both. I know both faculties offer good job prospects and a decent learning experience. Also, I enjoy programming (the little I know) and find CS topics interesting, however I do not know if I could sit behind a desk pressing buttons for my entire career. I know CS has become widely used in almost all technologies and many of the ones I am most interested in (automotive, security, avionics), however I feel more interested in Mechanical (but 4 more years for a bachelors.. yikes). What would you do?

Thank you everyone. Any input is very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DewYouKnow8 said:
I feel more interested in Mechanical
In the long run, doing what you love will be the best decision you make.

If you are looking for something more technical and quantitative to study then I don't think CS will sate you.

Greg Bernhardt said:
In the long run, doing what you love will be the best decision you make.
esuna said:
If you are looking for something more technical and quantitative to study then I don't think CS will sate you.

Do you guys think that starting an engineering degree at 22/23 and finishing at 26/27 seems late? (Not that I am too concerned)

DewYouKnow8 said:
Do you guys think that starting an engineering degree at 22/23 and finishing at 26/27 seems late? (Not that I am too concerned)
Late for what? You got a long life. Don't feel pressured to do anything. There are no rules. No set plans for how to live. We have members who went back to school in their 40s and now have a completely different career.

What is the difference between a degree in Computer Science and a degree in Mechanical Engineering?

A degree in Computer Science focuses on the study of computers and computational systems, while a degree in Mechanical Engineering is centered around the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems.

Which degree has better job opportunities - Computer Science or Mechanical Engineering?

Both degrees offer excellent job opportunities, but it ultimately depends on your interests and skills. Computer Science graduates may have more opportunities in the technology industry, while Mechanical Engineering graduates may have more opportunities in industries such as manufacturing, automotive, and aerospace.

Is a degree in Computer Science more challenging than a degree in Mechanical Engineering?

The difficulty of each degree can vary depending on the individual's strengths and interests. Generally, Computer Science involves a lot of problem-solving and abstract thinking, while Mechanical Engineering requires a strong understanding of math and physics principles.

Can I pursue a second degree in Computer Science or Mechanical Engineering if I already have a degree in the other field?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a second degree in either Computer Science or Mechanical Engineering if you already have a degree in the other field. However, you may need to take additional courses to meet the requirements for the second degree.

Which degree offers higher salary potential - Computer Science or Mechanical Engineering?

Both degrees have high earning potential, but it depends on various factors such as job market demand, location, and experience. In general, Computer Science graduates may have higher starting salaries, while Mechanical Engineering graduates may have higher earning potential in the long run.