Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What has your life experience made you picky about?

1. Aug 21, 2009 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Today I was at our bookstore grabbing my copy of Goldstein and Jackson for THAT semester of grad school and I decided to pick up some notebooks and paper too. I've come to realize that I've become very picky about paper and pencils! I look back on my undergrad work and I can barely read any of it and the paper is dilapidated and old looking; in other words, useless. It made me realize that in all honesty, I'd pay... $20, at least, for a mechanical pencil and lead combination and at least $20 for a notebook if they could really preserve my work. I hate these notebooks where some pages are stuck together, have faded areas, are easily damaged, seem to erode easily... I honestly feel like googling "deluxe paper" and looking for what I find.

I'm also quite picky about keyboards.

What have YOU become picky with?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2009 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No brand of paper or pencil is going to help you with your handwriting. :biggrin:

I'm not sure what has happened to your notes. I have notes on regular looseleaf paper from classes I TA'd in 1995 that I'm currently using because I have to start teaching some of these topics again after not looking at them for nearly 15 years! There's nothing wrong with the paper or the notes...not even a little yellowed yet.

I think my life experience has made me LESS picky. Things that used to get me worked up and stressed out, I now realize really aren't all that important. I'm pretty sure I've gotten more mellow and calmer.

4. Aug 21, 2009 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Defensive living. For me, safety [industrial environments of all sorts having high voltage systems, dangerous chemicals, lots of moving machinery, etc] as well as the potential for law suits, or losing my butt on a bad bid, are omnipresent issues. These concerns, and vigilance about things like having multiple backups of everything computer, are a matter of life and death; both literally and metaphorically.

I did refuse to hang from a bridge by a rope, like the State wanted me to do, while trying to do programming. So even I have my limits.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  5. Aug 21, 2009 #4
    I went through high school taking art classes each year (eventually ending up at AP studio art). I've always been better with black and white (pencil, charcoal, etc), and not so good with color. I've also never liked using art pencils for shading, because I figure if you have good enough control over your pencil you should be able to use an HB and go through all of the ranges. Well, being that I draw mostly with pencil, I've become very picky with which pencils I used to draw/shade with. Believe it or not, the lead in every type of pencil varies greatly, and I've found that American Naturals work the best for me.. Some people think I'm odd for being that picky with what pencils I used to shade.. But through using those pencils, I've been able to shade like this:

Thing_3.jpg

Aside from that, I'm really picky about my pasta brands lol

6. Aug 21, 2009 #5
    I hate people that try to BS me. I just told a PhD student today that he needed to put error bars on his data. When he said 'oh you can see the error just by looking at it', my bull-**** detector went off. The answer in that situation is: "oh, what does the error bars show in terms of the data?" Not to make an excuse about not having it. This guys trying to get a PhD, what a pathetic mentality.

7. Aug 21, 2009 #6
    Wives. My wife nags the life out of me, spends all my money, makes me do the chores, drives the car from the passenger seat, laughs at me, argues about everything, raises my children all wrong, packs a mean left fist, snores, sleeps on the middle half of the bed, and etc. However, the thought of anyone else doing these things to me upsets my delicate sense of esthetics.

8. Aug 21, 2009 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Next time, ask him that question during his seminar. I'll bet you'll see error bars on his figures after that once his mentor notices they aren't there, especially if he gives that same answer, and not just that he couldn't figure out how to make the software put them in (which hasn't been a problem since Excel first started doing graphing...the first version that did that, some people took a while to figure out how to do it so were missing the error bars simply because of the software change).

9. Aug 21, 2009 #8
    It's every time we talk to him. The guy has to be beaten over the head with a damn 2x4 before it sinks in for him to do what we are pointing out. Let's be honest here, I'm a block head. This guy is denser than lead. I really can't stand that mentality in engineers.

10. Aug 21, 2009 #9
    Fail. Here is a piece of advice that will stand you the rest of your days. Never get between a husband and wife, especially when they are fighting. They've got a licence to fight and you don't.

11. Aug 21, 2009 #10

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Gosh, I guess there IS some thing that annoys you, Cyrus. That's quite revealing, you know; makes you seem more human, less robotic, when you show emotion.
    :longdeadpanironicsmiley:

I used to be picky about music and I would heft my judgment upon every unsuspecting passerby listening to the "wrong" type of music (i.e., "major label" music).

Now, the only things that I am particularly picky about are:
    1--Key Lime Pie
    2--Caesar Salad, and
    3--TBA

12. Aug 21, 2009 #11

turbo

Gold Member

:rofl:
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nothing annoys Cyrus. Are you kidding????
    (I am)

13. Aug 21, 2009 #12
    picard_as_borg.jpg

Oh god, did I just reference to Star Trek..............yeahhh I did.

14. Aug 21, 2009 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Undefined acronyms. And don't start with that BS, "to be announced". I've been waiting for that definition to be announced for over 30 years, so unless you have a specific date, then it's about time to just drop it!

COB - now there's another good acronym. "Cease of ********". Who are you kidding?! ******** never ceases!

15. Aug 21, 2009 #14

drizzle

Gold Member

chopping veggies!

I tend to chop them in a way they all look the same size and shape, it took me time to finish whatever meal I cook, the family just give me excuses not to cook for them, and if I had to they start teasing me and say; don’t forget the ruler! :grumpy:

I don’t really remember what causes this [I do believe this is not normal] but I do feel relieved while chopping THAT way

16. Aug 21, 2009 #15
    hmm...

speaker sound quality, and that's about it!

17. Aug 21, 2009 #16
    ummm running shoes, matresses, beer, and cannabis, I smoke maybe 3 times a year so I if going to it better be worth it .... and being in Iraq for the second time it makes me really appreciate good food even more than before, so now I am pretty picky about the food I eat, or at least i will be when I get back.... I figure life is to short to settle for anything less than the best or at least pretty damn good in these things.

18. Aug 21, 2009 #17

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK running shoes...yes! Definitely don't skimp here. I got a bad foot injury that took 2 years to heal, caused by cheap running shoes (and ok, not enough stretching :redface:).

Hope you get home soon stevo, safe and sound.

19. Aug 21, 2009 #18
    actually recent research has shown that expensive running shoes result in more injuries, because the extra support prevents your muscles from developing properly to provide real protection. top running schools have actually gone shoeless now in their training.

20. Aug 22, 2009 #19
    I must agree with Cyrus on this one. I still believe in - "say what you'll do and do what you say", and "treat people the way you want to be treated".

In the past few years, I've noticed people are much too comfortable looking me in the eyes and telling WHOPPERS. I find that very disturbing - especially when employees are the ones telling me lies.

Clients are another story - I anticipate their avoidance of the truth - usually when it comes to paying.

21. Aug 22, 2009 #20
    1. women
    2. used car salesmen
    3. real estate agents
    4. solicitors
    5. lawyers
    6. financial 'advisors'
    7. Super evangelical religious fanatics (i dated one)

in that order

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook