What has your life experience made you picky about?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
turbo
Gold Member
I'm also picky about electric and acoustic guitars - especially tonal qualities in old tube amps. I tweak them mercilessly to try to bring out the best in them. And I was in TBA (albeit briefly). A local hotel/bar got a last minute cancellation from a band they had booked, so we scavenged the best personnel from several local bands and took the gig as a lark. We were all familiar with one another's work and were skilled in improvisation, so though we weren't a "band" we were up to the task. When we got there, the cardboard table placards all said Band TBA, so we found a cardboard poster, wrote "To Be Announced" on the backside with a Magic Marker and propped it up in front of the stage. As the owner paid us, he said that the bar had had its best night ever and he wanted us to become his house band with free storage space, free rehearsal space, etc. My sensitivities to fragrances were getting pretty bad, and I was ready to give up live performance, and getting the line-up would have required us to break up 3 bands. TBA was fun for a night though.

turbo
Gold Member
Ok, but I was referring to actual research and current wisdom on the subject...your individual anecdotal experiences do not really outweigh the evidence of controlled experiments.
There's nothing anecdotal about the Boston Marathon. Every year, it is won by Africans and they are always wearing shoes.

There's nothing anecdotal about the Boston Marathon. Every year, it is won by Africans and they are always wearing shoes.
Ok...so? I didn't claim that wearing shoes was bad. I just pointed out that those high tech running shoes are actually worse for injury prevention than a very simple shoe to provide some cushioning and prevent rocks from hurting your foot (and provided 2 peer reviewed sources of evidence, along with a slew of anecdotal evidence). It's the ankle support we're talking about. Showing that some people who win the race wore a shoe does nothing to contradict this.

turbo
Gold Member
Relevance?
The relevance is that marathon runners are extremely picky about their feet and their shoes. If there were benefits to running marathons barefoot, the top finishers and winners wouldn't always be wearing running shoes. There are a few competitors that run it barefoot, but they're not very competitive.

I'm also picky about electric and acoustic guitars - especially tonal qualities in old tube amps. I tweak them mercilessly to try to bring out the best in them.
Omg absolutely, I'm the same way. You kinda have to be, because every guitar sounds different. You can even have 3 of the exact same guitars and you can get 3 different sounds from them, so pickiness I think is a plus in that aspect.

Best sounding guitar I've ever had was an acoustic Elger guitar.. I had never even heard of it before I looked it up. Apparently it's the predecessor to Ibanez

turbo
Gold Member
Omg absolutely, I'm the same way. You kinda have to be, because every guitar sounds different. You can even have 3 of the exact same guitars and you can get 3 different sounds from them, so pickiness I think is a plus in that aspect.

Best sounding guitar I've ever had was an acoustic Elger guitar.. I had never even heard of it before I looked it up. Apparently it's the predecessor to Ibanez
I've got my "keepers" now, but when I would audition an electric guitar, I would spring for a set of fresh strings, tune it up, and play it unplugged in a quiet room. If it didn't resonate and ring and feel alive in my hands when unplugged, I'd put it back on the rack. Nothing you can do with amplification is going to make a "dead" guitar come to life.

Wives. My wife nags the life out of me, spends all my money, makes me do the chores, drives the car from the passenger seat, laughs at me, argues about everything, raises my children all wrong, packs a mean left fist, snores, sleeps on the middle half of the bed, and etc. However, the thought of anyone else doing these things to me upsets my delicate sense of esthetics.
Not to give advice where it's not wanted (and I really mean that)... But my suggestion, if you're willing to listen, and you want change; open up a better line of communication between the two of you. And not just to talk to each other, but to talk with each other. Sit down and really listen to what she has to say, and let her know that you'd like her to return the favor. Keep the conversation to the points you're making, don't attack her personally, don't name-call, leave the nonsense out of it and talk about the issues at hand. Also don't just pull a "you do this, you do this...".. But try to consider things that you may need to incorporate or make small changes to for her, especially if you expect it out of her. Nothing will ever change unless she knows what you're feeling/thinking.

Communication is one of the keys to success in a relationship, and if that's lacking, stress keeps building and building until there is a breaking point.
:rofl:

I adore jimmysnyder's running 'my wife' posts. He makes me laugh almost every time.

Kronos, I'm going to offer you another piece of advice that will stand you in good stead the whole of your life. Unless you know someone personally, you never know who you're talking to. You don't know from where they come or what they know or who they're related to and etc. (I realise there's irony here, in me writing this to you, someone I don't know, but there it is.) :smile:

Oh, right. Picky. Many years ago I became really fussy about coffee. Once I learned the difference between good coffee and crap, I've not settled for crap since. And care for my cat. I won't take her to just anyone. There's a pretty high bar they have to meet before I'll trust someone with her.

As Moonbear described, with age I've been far more mellow and way less distressed about a whole bunch of stuff that used to get on my last nerve if I didn't have the precise thing when I was younger. Maybe I've just narrowed it down to a few things that are truly important to me and the rest is all fluid.

:rofl:

I adore jimmysnyder's running 'my wife' posts. He makes me laugh almost every time.

Kronos, I'm going to offer you another piece of advice that will stand you in good stead the whole of your life. Unless you know someone personally, you never know who you're talking to. You don't know from where they come or what they know or who they're related to and etc. (I realise there's irony here, in me writing this to you, someone I don't know, but there it is.) :smile:

Oh, right. Picky. Many years ago I became really fussy about coffee. Once I learned the difference between good coffee and crap, I've not settled for crap since. And care for my cat. I won't take her to just anyone. There's a pretty high bar they have to meet before I'll trust someone with her.

As Moonbear described, with age I've been far more mellow and way less distressed about a whole bunch of stuff that used to get on my last nerve if I didn't have the precise thing when I was younger. Maybe I've just narrowed it down to a few things that are truly important to me and the rest is all fluid.
Hey, how I see it is, if they don't want advice, they don't have to read it :) Besides, that advice was pretty much word for word what my college Interpersonal Communication teacher told me, figured if wanted I'd pass the advice along. But that's the whole reason why I started it off the way I did.. If it's not wanted, don't bother listening, but if you need it, go for it.

But I guess it's kinda pointless offering advice in a forum of people who have worlds more experience/knowledge/wisdom than I do. So I apologize, and cease and desist.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
1. women
2. used car salesmen
3. real estate agents
4. solicitors
5. lawyers
6. financial 'advisors'
7. Super evangelical religious fanatics (i dated one)

in that order
Best bet is to date none of the above. An occasional exception might be made for someone who is only one of the above. Definitely don't date anyone that's two or more of the above.

The relevance is that marathon runners are extremely picky about their feet and their shoes. If there were benefits to running marathons barefoot, the top finishers and winners wouldn't always be wearing running shoes. There are a few competitors that run it barefoot, but they're not very competitive.
I edited my post for clarity, but you replied too quickly... Anyway, the point that was mentioned by the articles I were linking is exactly the contrary -- top finishers ARE NOT using high quality running shoes -- including the Stanford running team, the Tarahumara tribe, and other world record breaking runners I happen to know including my father.

Hey, how I see it is, if they don't want advice, they don't have to read it :) Besides, that advice was pretty much word for word what my college Interpersonal Communication teacher told me, figured if wanted I'd pass the advice along. But that's the whole reason why I started it off the way I did.. If it's not wanted, don't bother listening, but if you need it, go for it.

But I guess it's kinda pointless offering advice in a forum of people who have worlds more experience/knowledge/wisdom than I do. So I apologize, and cease and desist.
Well, hrm. Okay. jimmysnyder tells comical "my wife" stories frequently with a sort-of Rodney Dangerfield, "I get no respect" flavour to them. :smile: They are, by and large, jokes. Jokes that reflect a certain era, actually. But anyway.

If you haven't read his posts before, you'd not be aware of that. I can see how, possibly, that appeared to be a cry for help, although his post did end with an explicit statement about his contentment with his overall situation. So.

Sorry to talk about you behind your back/in front of your face, jimmy.