What if AGW is Wrong? Implications & Possible Consequences

• News
  • Thread starter Coldcall
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential consequences and implications of anthropogenic global warming (AGW) being proven false or exaggerated. There is a concern that there will be serious repercussions and a backlash against science if this were to happen. The conversation also touches on the issue of consensus and the importance of accurate science in addressing climate change. There is a suggestion to look into the HADCRU3t temperature data series from the raw data, which has been a source of controversy.
einstein said:
Why 100 authors? If I were wrong, then one would have been enough!
If the science is against you, form a circle?

Physics news on Phys.org
jimmysnyder said:

Your point?

Sorry! said:
Lol Andre, that list of 141 scientists related to climate research... great post!

I went through picking names at random, here is what I get:

Lee C. Gerhard
(look back to poll results I've posted)

Zbigniew Jaworowski

('nuff said?)

Björn Malmgren- Nothing really on this guy, he's a Marine geologist and a retired prof. I added him to facebook, let's see what he says!

Brian Pratt

I have a feeling I can continue to go through the names posted here but out of 4 only 1 has actually experience in recent climate science, Zbigniew Jaworowski, and he's certified in crackpottery...

If you can go through your list and show to me persons who signed this actually doing research to do with the climate over time or that they have taken an interest in modern climate research however do not agree with it for whichever reasons I'll be interested. So far all I see in this list however is no better than doing a poll on the public... sure these people are experts in their fields, highly educated, but what do they have to do with climate research... even as a hobby or interest?

Thanks for the most excellent demonstration of http://www.cedu.niu.edu/~fulmer/groupthink.htm

4. Excessive Stereotyping:The group constructs negative sterotypes of rivals outside the group.

Last edited by a moderator:
jimmysnyder said:

Which is exactly what the skeptics do. Great quote!

Point being, the science is against the skeptics, not the climate researchers. It has nothing to do with the polls that's just to get their general views on the matter... you are jumping in this thread and making pointless assumptions and accusations...

Andre said:
Thanks for the most excellent demonstration of http://www.cedu.niu.edu/~fulmer/groupthink.htm

Bahah, likewise Andre. You keep applying the term group think to anything in support of AGW. Must be that YOU'RE groupthinking too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry! said:
Point being, the science is against the skeptics, not the climate researchers.
How much have temperatures risen since 1800? Science without real-world data is not science.

jimmysnyder said:
How much have temperatures risen since 1800? Science without real-world data is not science.

We have instrumental data from about 1850 or so. The data clearly shows warming.

The problem is data earlier than this, as it's found through implied means. I can see why some would be skeptical about this.

However lots of science is conducted like this, we say we know what happens something like 0.00000000001 seconds after the big bang, but we've not been there.

Sorry! said:
Bahah, likewise Andre. You keep applying the term group think to anything in support of AGW. Must be that YOU'RE groupthinking too!

Frankly he's starting to sound a little crask-potish now.

Logical discussion went out of the window when he just started linking incredibly dubious petitions.

Not only that, but wanted to get us to jump through hoops NAMING x gazzilion people who were proponents of AGW.

After we named a few and responded in a logical manner with evidence (and I am still looking to I can complete your little pointless task Andre) the posts have all been conveniently ignored.

jimmysnyder said:

If you want to discuss science go to the Earth sciences forum and I'll discuss that with you there; if Andre wants to question consensus of scientists in the field he'll post that in the politics forum, and I'll discuss that with him here.

xxChrisxx said:
We have instrumental data from about 1850 or so. The data clearly shows warming.
How much?

I'm sorry if I haven't spelled it out as I should. One scientist (or even astrologist, I hope this doesn't get moved) who can tell us how many degrees warmer it is, is worth more than 141 scientists who agree with the statement that it's getting warmer. That is why I posted the Einstein quote.

As well Andre, I do not think I have applied excessive stereotypes to rivals of AGW. The people you listed certainly are not rivals of AGW, they just say that they do not believe it... Well other than that Zbigniew Jaworowski guy... he's not only a crackpot in climate research however so I highly doubt this is 'excessive stereotypes to rivals' . In fact I do accept 'rivals' I have read many papers by them and some of them even led me to accept what they were saying is possibly true... most of it however isn't against AGW but some small aspect of it. Try again...

The excessive stereotypes I'm seeing is all in YOUR posts... nearly every thread I've read about AGW that you were involved in comes along with you putting up this rediculous groupthink theory against all climate scientists.

Sorry! said:

Please state your case. It feel pretty lonely though, having to see all the look-how-superior-I-am-to-you,-you-miserable-denier posts.

Andre said:
Please state your case. It feel pretty lonely though, having to see all the look-how-superior-I-am-to-you,-you-miserable-denier posts.

I like how you have shifted burden of proof.

And keep ignoring the fact that we've responded with actual names of scientists who are proponents of global waarming. Jumping through your bloody hoops, when you keep moving the goalposts on the level of evidence needed.

What percentage human activity?

jimmysnyder said:

This is where the most disagreements come from but again, if you want to discuss science instead of just attempting to bash climate science in any thread... then head over to the Earth Sciences forum.

jimmysnyder said:

Well that's the hot debate.
Some say we are nearly the sole cause. Others say we have an insignificant impact.
THIS is where the real debate lies, this and the projected outcomes.
Are we going to be washed away into waterworld, or is nothing going to happen?

We just can't say with any level of certainty.

xxChrisxx said:
I'm refusing to do any legwork for you as it's easy to find papers on this.
It's not just me. Instead of surveys to turn the public's head, how about legwork.

jimmysnyder said:
It's not just me. Instead of surveys to turn the public's head, how about legwork.

jimmy... you seem very hardheaded on this matter but here: Andre specifically talked about concensus, that led to the discussion of polls. We are not trying to turn any public heads about this... I personally have already done 'legwork' what have you done?

Sorry! said:
This is where the most disagreements come from but again, if you want to discuss science instead of just attempting to bash climate science in any thread... then head over to the Earth Sciences forum.
What bash. I have been asking the same question over and over again. I thought that the reason I got no answer is that no one knew. How do you expect me to bash climate science when no one was willing to impart the least bit of it to me so I could bash it?

jimmysnyder said:
What bash. I have been asking the same question over and over again. I thought that the reason I got no answer is that no one knew. How do you expect me to bash climate science when no one was willing to impart the least bit of it to me so I could bash it?

Jimmy if you are aksing questions this basic (this isn't meant in an insulting way I promise), you are best looking at a scientific magazine. Nature, or New Scientist and such like. From there they will have links to proper scientific papers. Full papers don't usually concern themselves with something this basic.

I'll find a couple of starter threads for you and some papers that you don't have to buy, and link them when I get the chance.

xxChrisxx said:
Jimmy if you are aksing questions this basic (this isn't meant in an insulting way I promise), you are best looking at a scientific magazine. Nature, or New Scientist and such like. From there they will have links to proper scientific papers. Full papers don't usually concern themselves with something this basic.

I'll find a couple of starter threads for you, and link them when I get the chance.
You will not turn the publics head with articles. You need to tell them "Temperatures have risen x degrees since YYYY a.d., z% of it is due to human activity". If you can't say it, you may as well air-condition your doghouse.

jimmysnyder said:
You will not turn the publics head with articles. You need to tell them "Temperatures have risen x degrees since YYYY a.d., z% of it is due to human activity". If you can't say it, you may as well air-condition your doghouse.

I thought you were interested in researching this topic further, to answer your questions?

Andre said:

You're slightly irritating now, however I shall respond to this one last request of yours...
1 Illusion of Invulnerability: Members ignore obvious danger, take extreme risk, and are overly optimistic.

2 Collective Rationalization: Members discredit and explain away warning contrary to group thinking.

3 Illusion of Morality: Members believe their decisions are morally correct, ignoring the ethical consequences of their decisions.

4 Excessive Stereotyping:The group constructs negative sterotypes of rivals outside the group.

5 Pressure for Conformity: Members pressure any in the group who express arguments against the group's stereotypes, illusions, or commitments, viewing such opposition as disloyalty.

6 Self-Censorship: Members withhold their dissenting views and counter-arguments.

7 Illusion of Unanimity: Members perceive falsely that everyone agrees with the group's decision; silence is seen as consent.

8 Mindguards: Some members appoint themselves to the role of protecting the group from adverse information that might threaten group complacency.

Since you try to apply this directly to myself (even though I am merely responding to your questions... somehow answering what people on these forums would like to know is 'groupthinking'...) I'll try to apply most of them to you:

1 Illusion of Invulnerability: Well this is obviously hard to 'show' but I think if one looks through the Earth Sciences we can clearly see how this fits yourself... overly optimistic

2 Collective Rationalization: I don't even feel the need to pin anyone post you've made to this one... It's clearly visible from where I'm sitting in this thread alone...

3 Illusion of Morality:
some folk, currently labelled as "flat-earthers" or "denialists" (and as crackpots here), agree about the possible mistake.

Personally I agree about science, it's way too late to build in safeties to recover from the shock.
In response to the OP here discussing how science will receive 'backlash' if AGW is without merit. I think this shows that you are trying to morally justify your position.
Problem is not who does it, Astronuc, problem is that it is happening allegdly fighting off global warming. Without it, it would be much tougher to give it a legitimation.
Another post by you showing the 'morality' of the issue.

4 Excessive Stereotyping:
the insistence on consensus is a typical central factor of groupthink.
I absolutely agree that it's paramount to do anything possible to promote a better sustainment of the world but it MUST be based on accurate science, not on runaway scaremongering and groupthink
Thanks for the most excellent demonstration of #4 symptom of groupthink
With all respect, Turbo, maybe you should take note of the phenomenon group think
I can continue but I think the points been made. As well this isn't the only stereotype you have applied to proponents of AGW.

6 Self-Censorship: I can't say this one has been commited by you, since as far as I know, you are not part of a group. However you did admit in one of the threads, the one on the CRU, I believe, that skeptics were engaging in this type of behaviour.

7 Illusion of Unanimity: You continue to go on and on and on about 'there is no concensus'... This fulfills this step doesn't it?So please stop with this pointless 'groupthinking' statement you continously throw around.

xxChrisxx said:
I thought you were interested in researching this topic further, to answer your questions?
I am not in the least interested in researching. And the general public isn't either. They know that you can tell them the acceleration due to gravity at the surface of the earth. And they know that Johnny Carson can tell them how hot it is. So they wonder why you can't tell them how many degrees hotter is now than it was before. It's a number, it kills debate.

jimmysnyder said:

I have told you over and over again, if you are truly interested head to the Earth Sciences forums. Instead you sit here assuming that the answers are not known and attack base on that.

jimmysnyder said:
It's a number, it kills debate.

Since the late 1800's, the global average temperature has increased about 0.7 to 1.4 degrees F (0.4 to 0.8 degrees C).

I would suggest to you that you head on over to the Earth Sciences forum before yet another thread in the politics forum gets locked for involving science.

jimmysnyder said:
I am not in the least interested in researching. And the general public isn't either. They know that you can tell them the acceleration due to gravity at the surface of the earth. And they know that Johnny Carson can tell them how hot it is. So they wonder why you can't tell them how many degrees hotter is now than it was before. It's a number, it kills debate.

The Earth has warmed about 0.8c from 1800 to now.
It's warmed approx 0.5c from 1950.

There is no debate over this ^_^, the sharper rise correlates with larger human output of CO2. So it's a pretty good indicator that we are having an effect, there is no debate over this either.

There IS debate in the scientific community about the EXTENT humans are affecting the global temperature. There is also debate over how much of an effect this will have.However: If people like yourself cannot be bothered to find this information out yourself, and just be told something and believe or dismiss it out of hand because thinking is just too hard. You can all sit in ignorance, makes no odds to me.don't bash stuff you can't be bothered reading up on first.

xxChrisxx said:
The Earth has warmed about 0.8c from 1800 to now.
It's warmed approx 0.5c from 1950.

There is no debate over this, the sharper rise correlates with larger human output of CO2. So it's a pretty good indicator that we are having an effect.

Man is doing something, but there simply isn't enough data to tell how bad out contibution is. This is why people will not say a number.

Ther IS debate in the scientific community about how much we are affecting the global temperature. There is also debate over how much of an effect this will have.

Somewhat true, the reason the debate over how much humans have effected it has to do mostly with what data we decide to include... I have seen some reports saying as low as 0.28% and others say 5%(from skeptics)... Here is a good article on what's occurring and it's broken down so it's quite easy to understand, even if you don't like the numbers:

Over the last 40 or so years, natural drivers would have caused cooling, and so the warming there has been … is caused by a combination of human drivers and some degree of internal variability. I would judge the maximum amplitude of the internal variability to be roughly 0.1 deg C over that time period, and so given the warming of ~0.5 deg C, I’d say somewhere between 80 to 120% of the warming. Slightly larger range if you want a large range for the internal stuff.
http://climateprogress.org/2009/12/02/realclimate-gavin-schmidit-what-fraction-of-global-warming-is-due-to-human-causes-vs-natural-causes/

I don't really want to post this here since all the mess that posting data in the politics forums caused before however I feel that jimmy is probably not going to go over to the Earth sciences forum and will post his question, yet again, in here...

Sorry! said:
Somewhat true, the reason the debate over how much humans have effected it has to do mostly with what data we decide to include... I have seen some reports saying as low as 0.28% and others say 5%(from skeptics)... Here is a good article on what's occurring and it's broken down so it's quite easy to understand, even if you don't like the numbers:

The only reason I (and most scientists/engineers) am reluctant to say hard numbers without having it backed up first, is that even if you say this is really unrealiable data we are basing the numbers on. People will come back and kick you that the number is wrong, and rub it in your face. Even though you explicitly stated it's unreliable.

It's best to to say nothing, that way no one can comeback out of context and try to smear you to the uneducated.

xxChrisxx said:
Of course not. Anyone can read and understand something.
But can this "anyone" read and understand the chemistry, physics, statistics, and so on that back up the study? I doubt this very much, even if limited to college graduates.
xxChrisxx said:
But when you want an informed opinion on something, you go to an expert.
That's true in general, but it doesn't take an expert in climatology to tell when an expert is using questionable or invalid methodologies. Climate science is such a broad field that even the experts can't be counted on. For example, the statistical methodology behind Michael Mann's "hockey stick" graph of 1998 (an adaptation of work done by Lonnie Thompson) was so flawed that it has been completely discredited in most quarters. McIntyre and McKitrick and
xxChrisxx said:
Basically the less you kow about the subject you are more likely to be wrong.

That 'petition' was just of general people with a degree and should not be held as evidence that there is no generally accepted view amogst climate scientists beucase of it. I'm sure you can find just as many people with a general degree that are proponents of AGW.
So should we just take a vote? That's not the way science works. If an "expert" publishes a paper and a non-expert raises a genuine concern about the validity of the result, the concern should be addressed at face value. If the criticism is valid, it should be immaterial that the critic has or doesn't have a degree in that field, or recent papers, or gets grants from a government or private enterprise, or whatever.
xxChrisxx said:
However! That 'petition' had less than 12% of people who's degrees are in a relevant subject and are therefore likely to be in active research of the climate (incidentally only 0.01% of the people on the list are climatologists). Other links and polls have show far more climate scientists who are proponents of global warming.

Many of the links shouw that 97% of people actively engaged in climate change research are proponents of AGW.
A possible reason is that a large share of those folks are getting grants from government entities that are anxious to show results consistent with AGW to continue getting grants...

Mark44, I have been requesting these reports ad naseum. No one has produced them people seem to be highly convinced they do exist however (by skeptics showing geniuine concerns which are valid.); I have read many, many skeptic papers and I have to say they either address a small portion of GW (for the 'real' skeptics) or they are just so blatantly wrong that they do not even deserve to be addressed.

However if you have a paper in mind please... enlighten.

Coldcall said:
Leaving aside the actual specifics of the argument pro and anti agw, i was wondering how face will be saved (by politcians and scientists) in the event that agw is falsified or shown to have been highly exagerrated?

Politicians? "We just listened to what the scientific community told us. You can't blame us if they don't know what they're doing."

Scientists? "I'm not a climatologist; how am I supposed to know they had no clue what they were talking about?" (Lot of that in the thread)

Is the public going to buy the "not my department" excuse? Depends on the nature of the hypothetical errors exposed in the hypothetical situation you're pondering; bad physics, sloppy use of the meteorological record, and excessive appeals to unknown factors that should be caught in any general check of physical consistency of the GW conjectures are probably going to reflect very poorly on the scientific community at large.
IF agw is shown to be wrong then there are going to be a lot of "told you so" and serious recriminations are going to take place across the political and scientific specturm.

Political venue? Under the rug with a minimum of fuss --- a few public disavowals from the more vocal types.

Scientific community? Management will evade the chopping block --- people in the labs who made honest efforts to report their measurements and not overstate the significance or consequence of those findings? May God have mercy on their souls. It's so damned difficult to assign responsibility for wild claims made in executive summaries.
I wonder if the more vehement agw community has thought through the implications and possible consequences of labelleing all sceptics (including many scientific colleagues) as "flat-earthers" or "denialists".

But i think the worst consequences if agw is proved without merit will be a huge luddite backlash against science in general. That would be a tragedy.

"Luddite?" Nah --- John Q. is going to react in proportion to the quantity of tax money squandered on demonstrably hopeless alternate energy schemes, cost of living increases due to cap and trade, and overall decline in standard of living by chopping off the people who are most obviously (to him in the hypothetical circumstance) lying to him --- the scientists (Them as had credibility and now don't look much worse than those who never had credibility --- the politicians).