What instruments do you people play

• Thread starter Bladibla
  • Start date
Bladibla said:
agreed. I think even with 'crap' instruments of flute and clarinet, it is good practise. It is like a marathon runner training with boots on, and when it comes to the actual match, they run effortlessly on trainers, because the boots were that much heavier.

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/music/flute/modernB/Fsharp7.html

Consider that note on the flute.

I cant even make the sound come out, and i think only very high quality flutes will make that sound come out good. Thank goodness that i dont play pieces with 4th octave f# :bugeye:

about the woodwind: yep, agreed again. Although, some dynamics you just can't do on woodwind instruments, such as accords (or chords).

http://www.fluteinfo.com/Fingering_chart/Cords.html

Although, that link is suspicious...
I see im not the only one who visits the University of New South Wales' Musical Acoustics website :biggrin:. I frequently bore my classmates with random acoustical physics... stuff that not even the director cares about (or probably knows).

Hmm... intriguing. Playing chords on a flute. The closest thing I saw to chords on woodwind instruments was when this one guy on TV played the saxophone and the clarinet at the same time and made it sound like a bagpipe.

motai said:
I see im not the only one who visits the University of New South Wales' Musical Acoustics website :biggrin:. I frequently bore my classmates with random acoustical physics... stuff that not even the director cares about (or probably knows).

Hmm... intriguing. Playing chords on a flute. The closest thing I saw to chords on woodwind instruments was when this one guy on TV played the saxophone and the clarinet at the same time and made it sound like a bagpipe.

hehe..i first encountered it when i tried to find out the keys for the notes on the 3rd/4th octave i couldn't play..
Just tried playing that 'chord': doesn't sound that nice :grumpy: so ill just stick with simple notes.. :rolleyes:

@ monique: Nice playing the piano. :biggrin: I did play it when i was young, but i didn't find it that interesting.. :redface:

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Monique said:
I'm perfecting 'Comptine d'Un Autre Éte' from the movie Amélie on the piano.. wonderful simple and melodious piece.

Fantastic! Do you have the sheet music? You just prompted me to try and buy it but I can't find it on Amazon... :frown:

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Instrumentation !!

I play with lock-in amplifiers, PID controllers, capacitance bridges, ratio transformers...oh wait; you mean those kinds of instruments ? :frown:

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Sounds like we have the makings of a PF Jazz ensemble. :cool:

I played bass and electric guitars. I took piano for awhile, then did organ. I prefer electric organ and synthesizer, and guitar through synth.

Influences are Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Robin Trower and Jimi Hendrix. :biggrin:

Doug Ingle was my motivation for electric organ. Teacher didn't care for Iron Butterly. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Astronuc said:

I played bass and electric guitars. I took piano for awhile, then did organ. I prefer electric organ and synthesizer, and guitar through synth.

Doug Ingle was my motivation for electric organ. Teacher didn't care for Iron Butterly. :biggrin:

I play a mean jazz bari sax :approve:

Although i actually haven't played in a jazz band since high school (cause you know, that was a really long time ago). I'm no good at improvisation though.

Astronuc said:

A PF Jazz Ensemble, pretty neat. Finally a place where I can discuss the physics of musical instruments without being looked oddly upon :tongue2:. My main influences were those of Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Pete Fountain, etc.

What next? The PF Wind Ensemble, PF Brass, and the PF Rock Bands?

motai said:
A PF Jazz Ensemble, pretty neat. Finally a place where I can discuss the physics of musical instruments without being looked oddly upon :tongue2:. My main influences were those of Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Pete Fountain, etc.

What next? The PF Wind Ensemble, PF Brass, and the PF Rock Bands?
PF Saxophone Choir?

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
How about Chicago and Blood, Sweat and Tears - good brass sections - good blend of rock and jazz.

I don't play any instrument but I whistle and can voice-mimic.

Monique

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
brewnog said:
Fantastic! Do you have the sheet music? You just prompted me to try and buy it but I can't find it on Amazon... :frown:
I tried that too, but it's not available. You can go here :wink:

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Thank you!

Can anyone else voice-mimic?