What writing instruments do you use?

In summary, people mostly use mechanical pencils to write math. Some people also use fountain pens, but they are not recommended because they are difficult to use and can be expensive.
ephedyn
Here's the problem. Having traveled 15000km to my new college, I've come to realize that I cannot find the beautiful, extra fine tip, navy blue gel ink that I've used for 11 years.

Now I'm desperately for a new pen, one that can give me the same, smooth, effortless feel with minimal smudge (I'm left handed...) I feel very tempted to try a fountain pen, or a Mont Blanc rollerball... but given that I write a lot, I don't know how sustainable this will be...

What do you guys use to write math most of the time? Does anyone actually use a fountain pen to do math?

Physics news on Phys.org
I mostly use Sanford Uniball Micro for most purposes. inexpensive and writes well for me, wish it came as a retractable.

My favorite pen is the Retro Tornado 151. You can use Space Pen refils in it. Though I do not think they make fine points for it. But it has a nice flow.

I tried using a fountain pen, it is too problematic.

If you want to go that way, use drafting/ technical drawing pens. You can get very fine points and it is fountain pen. Rapidograph is probably the best. They are not cheap, and they are not designed for regular paper, so it will clog on you. I have them for drawing.

here is where I shop for pens. http://thewritersedge.com/welcome.cfm for interesting pens

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, seems like rollerballs are most popular. It's seriously hard to write subscripts/superscripts using a ballpoint, and that's also the same reason why I don't like 0.7mm or thicker tips.

Insanity - Wow that pen is cheap and pretty. I should get one to test. The pen that I've used all this time is retractable.

airborne - I've tried technical drawing pens but they seem to offer quite a lot of resistance. Okay, I'll check the site!

waht - ): 0.7mm. But I should give that a try too.

Any fountain pen recommendations?

ephedyn said:
Here's the problem. Having traveled 15000km to my new college, I've come to realize that I cannot find the beautiful, extra fine tip, navy blue gel ink that I've used for 11 years.

Now I'm desperately for a new pen, one that can give me the same, smooth, effortless feel with minimal smudge (I'm left handed...) I feel very tempted to try a fountain pen, or a Mont Blanc rollerball... but given that I write a lot, I don't know how sustainable this will be...

What do you guys use to write math most of the time? Does anyone actually use a fountain pen to do math?

For math, I always use a mechanical pencil with 0.5mm lead, HB or 2B. On an engineer's computation pad.

Schaeffer probably has the best selection. That is what I used. They have a cartridge type system, or used to, and the supplies were widely available from the average office supply store. I have not used one in years.

Rapidograph is possibly the best fountain pen for lettering and drafting. The nib is a small tube with a central wire with an inboard weight, so you can shake it if ink flow is inconsistent. Not cheap, not low-maintenance, but I loved them.

You might want to try visiting your college bookstore and some office-supply places. They all have sample pens and some paper out there so you can see if a pen "calls" to you (dances with drawing instruments). I've got some cheap bulk-pack Pentel pens that do a great job, don't skip, and the ink seems to last a long time. Plus, they are retractable, though the pocket clips seem a bit brittle. I tend to wear flannel or fleece in the winter, and I have broken a couple of clips sticking the pens in my pockets.

lisab said:
For math, I always use a mechanical pencil with 0.5mm lead, HB or 2B. On an engineer's computation pad.

lisa have you ever tried a 2mm drafting lead holder? You can get a sharp point on them and a wider range of lead. I like harder lead for the longer lasting point. like 3H.

Very interesting spread of users here.

lisab: D: gosh, lead. I don't know why but personally, writing in lead kills off my productivity/inspiration/intuition. I doodle in lead but whenever I'm working on serious, I just have to ink it so that it's bright and gay. The computation pad sounds costly!

airborne: Got it, thanks!

turbo-1: Good idea. It's night now, but I'll drop by the bookstore tomorrow morning.

Okay, so I'll try stuffing that Mont Blanc refill in a G2, the Sanford and Pentel Energel, and look at Schaeffer, rapidograph, and Pilot (the Vanishing Point sounds highly recommended) for their fountain pens. Looks like a pretty good range of pens to try. Thanks guys.

ephedyn said:

lisab: D: gosh, lead. I don't know why but personally, writing in lead kills off my productivity/inspiration/intuition. I doodle in lead but whenever I'm working on serious, I just have to ink it so that it's bright and gay. The computation pad sounds costly!

turbo-1: Good idea. It's night now, but I'll drop by the bookstore tomorrow morning.

Okay, so I'll try stuffing that Mont Blanc refill in a G2, the Sanford and Pentel Energel, and look at Schaeffer, rapidograph, and Pilot (the Vanishing Point sounds highly recommended) for their fountain pens. Looks like a pretty good range of pens to try. Thanks guys.
Good luck! Choosing a new pen (if you write a lot, as I did) is a serious enterprise (and fun!).

airborne18 said:
lisa have you ever tried a 2mm drafting lead holder? You can get a sharp point on them and a wider range of lead. I like harder lead for the longer lasting point. like 3H.

Yes, years ago I took drafting and I used one of those. Problem is, I like a very dark line, and of course a soft lead dulls quickly. So the very thin lead works OK, I get my dark line without having to sharpen frequently.

ephedyn said:

Oh those computational pads are ridiculously expensive! They didn't used to be.

But when I get just the right pencil, just the right pad, and sit in one particular room at the University of Washington library...ah, it's great, I can really get stuff done. I've done it so much my brain is trained to turn off all the silliness and just focus :smile:.

turbo-1: Yup, thanks!

lisab said:
Me too - MonAmi D153 mechanical pencil and HB 0.5 mm. I've had it so long that the print has worn off.

Otherwise, Sanford Uniball Micro for most purposes. I've used Pilot Razor points as well, but I kept ruining the tips.

My favorite pencil is a Caran D'ache Fixpencil 2. It is old and simple, but it is works perfectly with no gimmicks and no jammed leads. I like it for jotting notes and sketching. When sketching, I use a moderate or mildly hard lead, so that I can darken gradually with repetition and layering. Cross-hatch with a harder lead, to get a soft gray...

turbo-1 said:
My favorite pencil is a Caran D'ache Fixpencil 2. It is old and simple, but it is works perfectly with no gimmicks and no jammed leads. I like it for jotting notes and sketching. When sketching, I use a moderate or mildly hard lead, so that I can darken gradually with repetition and layering. Cross-hatch with a harder lead, to get a soft gray...

I have been buying up 2mm lead on ebay. Well I did until I got ripped off on something, so I packed up my marbles and went home.

I like black markers and pens, blue just doesn't do my margin doodling justice.

I buy all my pencils and pens by the box. I lose them at such an astonishing rate that I simply cannot afford to invest in any quality ones.

Do any other lefties fill their notebooks from back to front?

airborne18 said:
I have been buying up 2mm lead on ebay. Well I did until I got ripped off on something, so I packed up my marbles and went home.
I should start looking around. My supply is limited and I really want to use this pencil for a LONG time, if possible.

ephedyn said:
waht - ): 0.7mm. But I should give that a try too.

They have them in 0.5 mm too.

lisab: I see lol I can get what you mean. My friend was just pointing out how silly it is to use a $130 pen to scribble some calculations or attempts to solve a problem... but I guess pen and paper is to us as a racquet is to a tennis player, and it really matters so long as you get the feel.

Astronuc: Ah that Sanford thing sounds really good. I've never seen one of those back home. Aw the lettering wore off? Well ever since I started using a Pilot drafting mechanical pencil (H-325), I couldn't get used to any other mechanical pencil. I kept losing it though - I've lost 3, but the streak of bad luck never turned me off getting it over and over again. Too bad I can only get it from Japan now, so I only have one with me. If I find it ever again I'll get you one!

DaveC426913 said:
I like black markers and pens, blue just doesn't do my margin doodling justice.

I buy all my pencils and pens by the box. I lose them at such an astonishing rate that I simply cannot afford to invest in any quality ones.

Do any other lefties fill their notebooks from back to front?

Sorry, I start from the front :s But I dislike blue for similar reasons.

turbo-1 said:

I'd post a lot of heart eyed smileys if I could find them :)

I'm still using the hammer and chisel i bought 50 years ago.

DaveC426913 said:
I bought a bag of 12 plastic mechanical pencils for a dollar about 15 years ago and I just took the last one out of the bag a few months ago. I can't afford it either, but my wife said she would lend me another dollar.

Please excuse the minor off-topic diversion here, but ...
ephedyn said:
... (I'm left handed...)
ephedyn said:
):
ephedyn said:
D:
... do most left-handers do smileys (and frownies) facing the opposite way from how right-handers do them? Never noticed this until now.

fuzzyfelt said:
I'd post a lot of heart eyed smileys if I could find them :)

For some reaon, not all smilies show on IE (I don't have that issue when I use Chrome). The heart-eyed smilie recipe is as follows

: + ! + ! + ) = :!)

For lefties it's

( + ! + ! + : = (!:

Hmm.

gokul43201 said:
please excuse the minor off-topic diversion here, but ...

... Do most left-handers do smileys (and frownies) facing the opposite way from how right-handers do them? Never noticed this until now.

Interesting thought!

lisab said:
for some reaon, not all smilies show on ie (i don't have that issue when i use chrome). The heart-eyed smilie recipe is as follows

: + ! + ! + ) = :!)

for lefties it's

( + ! + ! + : = (!:

Hmm.

:biggrin: Thanks lisab!

turbo-1 said:
my favorite pencil is a caran d'ache fixpencil 2. It is old and simple, but it is works perfectly with no gimmicks and no jammed leads. I like it for jotting notes and sketching. When sketching, i use a moderate or mildly hard lead, so that i can darken gradually with repetition and layering. Cross-hatch with a harder lead, to get a soft gray...
:!) :!) :!) :!)

Yay, it works!

I prefer the Papermate Sharpwriter Mechanical Pencil, myself (0.7 lead)...

04154030376_450x450_a.jpg
I also like the Blue G-2 Fine Point Pen (whenever I have to use pen)...

[URL]http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/b0/d/AAAACwV_mfgAAAAAALDVYw.jpg?v=1266426523000[/URL]Just a note: I find that the RED INK PILOT G-2 PENS aren't consistently functional, for some reasons (they get clogged easily). When they're good, they're great; but when they suck, they suck real bad, and make you want to stab the manufacturer. It's a hit or miss with the reds.

Last edited by a moderator:
FrancisZ said:
Just a note: I find that the RED INK PILOT G-2 PENS aren't consistently functional, for some reasons (they get clogged easily). When they're good, they're great; but when they suck, they suck real bad, and make you want to stab the manufacturer. It's a hit or miss with the reds.
Manufacturers occasionally find cheaper sources for the red ink.

Why, I remember this one office supply shop, in old London, where the red pens were dirt cheap. It was on the ground floor, under a barber shop. Can't remember the name... Sweeney something...

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but the Pilot EasyTouch retractable ballpoint pens have a nice feel to them. I have a medium point blue at my desk at the moment -- not sure if they make them in fine point too:

http://www.staples.com/Pilot-EasyTouch-Retractable-Ballpoint-Pen-Medium-Point-Black-Dozen/product_474357?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Shopping-_-Office_Supplies%3EPens-_-474357-32220&cid=CSE:GoogleBase:Office_Supplies:Pens:474357:32220

berkeman said:
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but the Pilot EasyTouch retractable ballpoint pens have a nice feel to them. I have a medium point blue at my desk at the moment -- not sure if they make them in fine point too:

http://www.staples.com/Pilot-EasyTouch-Retractable-Ballpoint-Pen-Medium-Point-Black-Dozen/product_474357?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Shopping-_-Office_Supplies%3EPens-_-474357-32220&cid=CSE:GoogleBase:Office_Supplies:Pens:474357:32220

Those are the Pilots that I use. The clips are weak, and break when you try to put them in a fleece or flannel shirt pocket, but they write pretty well for a cheap pen.

lisab said:
Astronuc said:
Me too - MonAmi D153 mechanical pencil and HB 0.5 mm. I've had it so long that the print has worn off.
I don't get how anyone can use 0.5 mm pencils. Even the 0.7's break too easily for me, so I use 0.9 mm diameter. I like the Pentel Quicker-Clicker, and I add one of these erasers to it:

s0080917_sc7?$sku$.jpg

Great for carpentry work too, by the way. Consistent line width, and they don't need resharpening like standard carpenter's pencils frequently do.

I like sharp crisp lines, as opposed to thick lines. I don't allow much graphite to protrude from the metal tip.

For erasers, I prefer the Pink Pearl - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VXLO8I/?tag=pfamazon01-20. I can easily wear these down.

Most of my work requires that I use pen, and now most of my work is down on computer with various applications or codes, including CAD.

Personally, I have been using fountain pens since 4th Grade (9 years old?), and for the last 2 years I am using a Mont Blanc (Chopin Edition) as old as myself –19 years old–. Don't get me wrong, I did not spend 300 euros for a writing instrument, my mother gave it to me since she has never used it before (and it was a gift she received). And I must say that I use it a lot, daily, and so far I have never had any problem. (And I would assume that if I had to bring it to a Mont Blanc store, they could fix it for 20 euros or less... and spending this every 5 years is not that bad.)
But apart from that, I really enjoy the simple act of writing with a fountain pen. If I had another utensil such as a Bic pen (in America I think you have those papermate pens similarly) I would find it hard to concentrate in lectures.
As for others not-so-expensive fountain pens: a Cross, Parker, or even a good inoxcrom would do it. Make sure to check which kind of inks does the fountain pen uses, since there are fountain pens that can only be used with certain cartridges –like Cross– that are really expensive in contrast to the conventional ones. In any case... it is sometimes better to just use a filler converter despite the brand.

About your second question, yes, that's what I use for mathematics (even when trying to solve problems in scratch papers). And if I were to do a mistake in a sheet that I had to handle, I would just use a stypen to erase it (I don't know the name of this brand in North America).

I hope that helps. If you wonder anything else about fountain pens, don't hesitate to ask.

P.S: Btw, if you are left handed, have you ever tried to use a fountain pen before?