Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a BA in Mathematical Sciences?

1. Sep 6, 2007 #1

Cod

The topic title says it all. Some schools offer what they call a bachelors in mathematical sciences while others offer a bachelors in mathematics. What is the difference between the two? Are they the same thing or are there major differences?

I'm asking because I'm trying to earn a degree in mathematics through distance learning since I'm in the military stationed overseas. So any schools that y'all know of that offer a good maths degree would be fantastic.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2007 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Don't most college and university web sites list the courses which are required for each degree?

4. Sep 6, 2007 #3
    Mathematical Sciences is probably a broad term for any interdisciplinary program in mathematics.

My particular math program of study at the University of Michigan Ann Arbor was a program in the mathematical sciences, but my major is still listed as Mathematics on my transcript. I studied mathematical economics. They have listed programs in mathematical finance, mathematical physics, operations research, mathematical biology, algorithmic methods, etc.

5. Sep 6, 2007 #4
    At my school, the Mathematical Sci program contains mandatory 3rd and 4th year computer science and statistics courses. But in the B.Sc. Math, they are suggested but not required.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?