Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a Golden membership ?

1. Oct 29, 2013 #1
    There is a notice on my page here which tells me that I can get a golden membership by making a link to Physics Forums on my Website or Blog. But What is a golden membership?! What is the difference between it and my membership now?!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The differences are listed https://www.physicsforums.com/payments.php [Broken]. And you support our forums, of course :).

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Oct 29, 2013 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can earn Gold for free here.

5. Oct 29, 2013 #4
    I read so much to reach the point about golden members :D I understood that those members have some control about the contents on the the forum , is that all the story ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Oct 29, 2013 #5

Evo

The perks are the one listed in the link above, any member is welcome to make suggestions, of course.

7. Oct 30, 2013 #6
    No, those members have no control about the contents on the forum. Also, the "advantages" of gold are outdated. I'm not gold an I can see who's online.

8. Oct 30, 2013 #7

Borek

Every member has a control over a content of a forum - as long as what they post is within our rules :tongue2:

9. Oct 30, 2013 #8
    Well,, gold members have no more control than "normal" members.. I believe that's what he asked. Gold members should be allowed to vote when choosing new mentors, HH, and all that. To make it more of a community decision, but not opened to everyone.

10. Oct 30, 2013 #9

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

PF content is controlled by admins and mentors. They do a fabulous job.

11. Oct 30, 2013 #10

Borek

As long as gold members are those paying for their title, this is asking for troubles - any idiot with lots of money could skew the results of any vote.

Gold members have their perks, and that's enough.

12. Oct 30, 2013 #11
    Hum.. That does make sense. However, I think there are ways to avoid that. In order to vote, one would need to be gold AND have more than X posts. Obviously mentors vote would count more than gold members vote.. Perhaps have the mentors decide on a list of candidates beforehand..

Anyway, on the advantages of PF membership one can read "who's online". I'm not gold and I can see who's online.

13. Oct 30, 2013 #12

Borek

That's the system we have now. Weight of Mentors votes is 1, weight of gold members is 0. And as it works quite good for many years there is no reason to change it.

Things were modified in the Summer, apparently not everything is synchronized/back to normal. Thank you for letting us know.

14. Oct 30, 2013 #13
    loled. I get your point.. It would give you a lot more money though!

No problemo

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook