What is a lifting function and how is it used in fluid dynamics?

In summary, the conversation is about a term mentioned in a journal article called a "lifting function" which is used with the Navier-Stokes equation. The person is looking for an explanation of what it is and the possible connection to the divergence theorem.
Hoplite
What is a "lifting function"?

Hi,

I was reading a journal article and they mentioned something called a "lifting function". It was apparently used with the Navier-Stokes equation to translate the boundary conditions (which were complicated, and NOT non-slip), into a body force.

It looks like think technique could be useful, so I wanted to find out what it was. The problem is that they reference given in the article was some lecture series from the 1950s, which I can't get a hold of.

So, could anyone here explain what a lifting function is, or hopefully point me to a good explanation?

(I notice that there is something called a lifting function used in topology, but I assume it's unrelated.)

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't recognize the term "lifting function" itself but such things as "Stoke's theorem":
[tex]\int_C \vec{f}\cdot \vec{ds}= \int\int_S \nabla\times\vec{f}\cdot\vec{dS}[/tex]
Where C is the one-dimensional boundary of the two-dimensional surface S
and the "divergence theorem"
[tex]\int\int_S \vec{F}\cdot\vec{dS}= \int\int\int_V \nabla\cdot\vec{F} dV[/itex]
Where S is the two-dimensional surface of the three-dimensional region V seem to be what you are talking about.

Thanks, HoI. The divergence theorem could well be what they meant.

Related to What is a lifting function and how is it used in fluid dynamics?

What is a lifting function?

A lifting function is a mathematical function used in the field of signal processing. It is used to transform a one-dimensional signal into a higher dimensional space, where it can be more easily analyzed and manipulated.

How does a lifting function work?

A lifting function takes the original signal and applies a series of mathematical operations to it, resulting in a new, higher dimensional signal. This new signal often has more desirable properties for processing and analysis.

What are some common applications of lifting functions?

Lifting functions are commonly used in signal processing, image processing, and data compression. They are also used in various algorithms for data analysis and machine learning.

What are the benefits of using a lifting function?

The use of a lifting function can simplify the analysis and manipulation of signals, as it allows for a higher dimensional representation of the data. This can also lead to improved data compression and more efficient algorithms for data analysis.

Are there different types of lifting functions?

Yes, there are various types of lifting functions that can be used for different purposes. Some common types include integer-to-integer, real-to-real, and complex-to-complex lifting functions. The choice of lifting function depends on the specific application and desired outcome.