What is a non-local Hamiltonian?

In summary: I get Lorentz invariant--##\Box## is Lorentz invariant and so therefore is ##1 / \Box##--but how is it...
lindberg
TL;DR Summary
Can someone explain in simple terms (high-school) how a Hamiltonian can be non-local?
If I understand it correctly, the Hamiltonian represents the total energy of the system. Can it be non-local? If yes, doesn't this contradict relativistic locality?

Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
It's nonlocal if the energy (density) at spacetime point x also depends instantaneously on point x+y. Yes, that violates relativity.

This happens e.g. if the hamiltonian contains a term f(x)f(x+y), where f is the general field.

More concrete example: the energy density of an electromagnetic field contains a term E^2(x) with E the electric field. Replace it with E(x)E(x+y) and your energy density (Hamiltonian) becomes nonlocal.

Likes FuzzySphere, atyy, lindberg and 1 other person
Likes atyy and vanhees71
Well, look where it had been published...

vanhees71 said:
Well, look where it had been published...
What do you mean? Is it the same "Oh, 《Foundations of Physics》is really badly peer-reviewed!", or what?

Likes Demystifier
dextercioby said:
What do you mean? Is it the same "Oh, 《Foundations of Physics》is really badly peer-reviewed!", or what?
I think @vanhees71 has a low opinion on this journal, probably because it deals with questions which are partially philosophical. I would like to stress that this journal has very distinguished editors. Now it is Carlo Rovelli (most famous for his work in loop quantum gravity), and before him it was the Nobel laureate G. 't Hooft.

Likes FuzzySphere, vanhees71, malawi_glenn and 1 other person
Well, I often wonder, whether this is still a physics journal ;-)).

• Love
Likes malawi_glenn
vanhees71 said:
Of course it isn't, it is a foundations of physics journal. Foundations of physics is not physics. More generally, foundations of X studies what is X based on, and no X is based on itself. :oldbiggrin:

Likes gentzen and vanhees71
@Demystifier so wait, what is Physics based on then?
And back to my original question: isn't it a problem that to formulate an alternative to GR, they give up the locality of the Hamiltonian? It seems like a big problem. Isn't experiment ruling this out?

lindberg said:
what is Physics based on then?
Physics is based on the scientific method. An interplay between experiments, measurments, observations with mathematical models and theories.

Likes dextercioby and vanhees71
lindberg said:
@Demystifier so wait, what is Physics based on then?
The answer depends on what kind of answer do you expect. For example, if the question was "What is chemistry based on?", what would be your answer? Would it be - physics?
lindberg said:
And back to my original question: isn't it a problem that to formulate an alternative to GR, they give up the locality of the Hamiltonian? It seems like a big problem. Isn't experiment ruling this out?
What experiment? Sure, many experiments rule out non-local Hamiltonians in various contexts, but I am not aware of any experiment that rules it out in the cosmological context.

malawi_glenn said:
Physics is based on the scientific method. An interplay between experiments, measurments, observations with mathematical models and theories.
Yes, but you can hardly find this definition of the scientific method in science books. It's much more likely that you will find it in books on philosophy of science.

• Love
Likes malawi_glenn
Demystifier said:
Yes, but you can hardly find this definition of the scientific method in science books. It's much more likely that you will find it in books on philosophy of science.
Exactly, the scientific method is not scientific so to say :)

• Love
Likes Demystifier
vanhees71 said:
I remember, in the 1990’s, and at the tea room of the physics department of Birkbeck College, that journal was the subject of almost monthly jokes. The one that I still remember is: “It is good to know that physics is not based on “FOUNDATIONS OF PHYSICS”” Prof. E. Leader

• Haha
Likes dextercioby, vanhees71, atyy and 1 other person
samalkhaiat said:
I remember, in the 1990’s, and at the tea room of the physics department of Birkbeck College, that journal was the subject of almost monthly jokes. The one that I still remember is: “It is good to know that physics is not based on “FOUNDATIONS OF PHYSICS”” Prof. E. Leader
I like the one by Feynman, not about the specific journal but about the whole field. Physics needs philosophy of physics as much as birds need ornithology.

BTW, there are also jokes about mathematical physicists, but I will save them for another occasion. :wink:

• Haha
Likes haushofer, malawi_glenn, vanhees71 and 1 other person
haushofer said:
It's nonlocal if the energy (density) at spacetime point x also depends instantaneously on point x+y. Yes, that violates relativity.
Is this true? I thought one could write down non-local field theories that were still lorentz invariant.

Can one? Do you have an example for such a theory? Is it consistent with observations?

Likes malawi_glenn
Actions containing ##1/\Box## are nonlocal and Lorentz invariant, many effective theories (for otherwise local theories) have this form.

Likes malawi_glenn
Demystifier said:
Actions containing ##1/\Box## are nonlocal and Lorentz invariant
I get Lorentz invariant--##\Box## is Lorentz invariant and so therefore is ##1 / \Box##--but how is it nonlocal?

It's not unique, but one can define ##1/\Box## as, e.g., the retarded Green's function. Then it's an operator on an field ##J## defined by
$$\frac{1}{\Box} J(x)=\int_{\mathbb{R}^4} \mathrm{d}^4 x' G_{\text{ret}}(x-x') J(x')$$
with
$$G_{\text{ret}}(x)=\frac{\Theta(x^0)}{2 \pi} \delta(x \cdot x),$$
which is a scalar under proper orthochronous Lorentz transformations. It's nonlocal, because it depends on values of ##J## along the entire past light cone of the event ##x##.

Likes Demystifier, dextercioby and malawi_glenn
PeterDonis said:
I get Lorentz invariant--##\Box## is Lorentz invariant and so therefore is ##1 / \Box##--but how is it nonlocal?
@vanhees71 explained above.

What is a non-local Hamiltonian?

A non-local Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the dynamics of a system over time. It is a function of position and momentum, and it determines how the system will evolve from one state to another.

How is a non-local Hamiltonian different from a local Hamiltonian?

A local Hamiltonian only takes into account interactions between neighboring particles, while a non-local Hamiltonian can describe interactions between particles that are not directly adjacent. This means that a non-local Hamiltonian can capture more complex interactions between particles.

What types of systems use non-local Hamiltonians?

Non-local Hamiltonians are commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe systems with many particles, such as atoms, molecules, and solids. They are also used in fields such as condensed matter physics, quantum information theory, and quantum field theory.

What are the advantages of using a non-local Hamiltonian?

Non-local Hamiltonians allow for a more accurate description of complex systems, as they can capture long-range interactions between particles. They also provide a more complete understanding of the behavior of quantum systems, which is crucial for many applications in science and technology.

Are there any limitations to using a non-local Hamiltonian?

One limitation of non-local Hamiltonians is that they can be more difficult to solve mathematically compared to local Hamiltonians. Additionally, the use of non-local Hamiltonians can lead to more complex and less intuitive physical interpretations of the system's behavior.