What is a "quantum potential" ?

• A
  • Thread starter momo666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, the conversation discusses a model that suggests the universe had no beginning but rather existed as a quantum potential before "collapsing" into the big bang. The concept of the "quantum potential" is compared to a body of water freezing, and the model is further explained using an analogy of a ping pong ball bouncing on water. The conversation ends with a request for an explanation of the analogy and a reference to a paper discussing the concept in more detail.
momo666
I am asking that question having in mind the following paper: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0370269314009381

Now, reading Brian Koberlein blog, I saw his take on the model I've presented earlier.
https://briankoberlein.com/2015/02/10/beginning/
In there, he says: "The model predicts that the universe had no beginning. It existed forever as a kind of quantum potential before “collapsing” into the hot dense state we call the big bang."

So I would like an explanation on what that means. Would I be wrong to say that the "quantum potential" can be conceptualized as a body of water and the "collapse" as that body of water freezing?

Physics news on Phys.org
To learn about quantum potential, google about "Bohmian mechanics".

Likes bhobba and momo666
Unfortunately I had no luck. Perhaps someone could lend a hand?

Greetings. I had some luck and someone provided me with an analogy so I'm curious what you think of it.

Basically, in this paper the Universe is like a ping poll ball bouncing on water. Every time the ball bounces on water, it creates a ripple which changes the ball's trajectory when it hits the water again. In this paper, the "ball" has been bouncing infinitely into the past but at some point something caused it to stop bouncing and it "collapsed" into the hot dense state we call the "big-bang".

1. What is a quantum potential and how does it differ from classical potential?

A quantum potential is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the potential energy of a particle in a quantum system. It differs from classical potential in that it takes into account the wave-like behavior of particles and is non-local, meaning it is not tied to a specific location in space.

2. How is quantum potential related to the wave function in quantum mechanics?

The quantum potential is directly related to the wave function of a particle in quantum mechanics. The wave function describes the probability of finding a particle in a certain location, and the quantum potential is responsible for the behavior of the wave function.

3. Can the quantum potential be measured or observed?

No, the quantum potential cannot be directly measured or observed. It is a theoretical concept used in mathematical models to describe the behavior of particles in quantum systems.

4. Is the concept of quantum potential widely accepted in the scientific community?

The concept of quantum potential is still a topic of debate and is not universally accepted in the scientific community. Some physicists argue that it is a useful tool for understanding quantum systems, while others believe it is a flawed concept.

5. How does the concept of quantum potential affect our understanding of the nature of reality?

The concept of quantum potential challenges our traditional understanding of reality, as it suggests that particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously and are influenced by non-local forces. It also raises questions about the role of consciousness in the measurement of quantum systems.