What Is an Example of a Linear Map on R^4 Meeting Specific Dimensional Criteria?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
*melinda*
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
Give a specific example of an operator T on R^4 such that,

1. dim(nullT) = dim(rangeT) and

2. dim(the intersection of nullT and rangeT) = 1

The attempt at a solution
I know that dim(R^4) = dim(nullT) + dim(rangeT) = 4, so dim(nullT) = dim(rangeT) = 2.

I also know that nullT will have 2 basis vectors and rangeT will also have 2 basis vectors (so that 1. is satisfied), and that they must have one vector in common (so that 2. is satisfied).

I started with T(w, x, y, z) = (w, x, 0, 0), but that only does it halfway.
I just don't know how to generate an example that satisfies both conditions.
Any ideas?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Try T(w,x,y,z)=(w,0,x,0). This is somewhat confusing because you usually think of null(T) and range(T) as living in different spaces. Write it in terms of a basis {e1,e2,e2,e4}. T(e1)=e1, T(e2)=0, T(e3)=e2, T(e4)=0. So null(T)=span(e2,e4). range(T)=span(e1,e2).