What is biomechanics? Should I learn it?

• Thread starter Heisenberg_Fan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Biomechanics
In summary, the conversation revolves around someone new to a biomechanics group who is unsure about the job prospects in this field. They are hoping for a decent job in a company after graduation and are seeking advice from others in the group. The group also discusses the applications of biomechanics in various sectors, including industrial bioengineering, ergonomics, and occupational safety and health. They suggest getting a copy of Basic Orthopaedic Biomechanics by Van C. Mow for further reading and recommend a group at Columbia University that specializes in this area.
Heisenberg_Fan
Hi, everyone. I am new here.

I am an ocean engineering student. Rerently, I have received an invitation into a biomechanics group which is focus on biomechanics in musculoskeletal system, in particular fluid and solute transport in bone and cartilage. I do not know this area much. What kind of job are people in this area supposed to do after graduation? Postdoc? I expect not a postdoc but a decent job in a company.

So, what do you guys say about this?

Thanks a lot for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a biomedical equipment technician, not graduated. Recently I'm working also with risk assesment in health care structures.
I know you may study biomechanics at biomedical engineering.
Its main applications are in the sector of industrial bioengineering (medical devices like implants, bionics, rehabilitation robotics are examples), but also not least in ergonomics and occupational safety and health.

Get yourself a copy of Basic Orthopaedic Biomechanics by Van C. Mow. His group at Columbia works in the very area you are describing. I collaborated on some work with his group a few years ago, and learned much of the background material from this book.

Chet

Likes atyy

1. What is biomechanics?

Biomechanics is the study of the mechanics of living organisms, including humans, animals, and plants. It combines principles of physics, engineering, and biology to understand how living systems move and function.

2. How is biomechanics useful?

Biomechanics has many practical applications, such as helping athletes improve their performance, designing prosthetic limbs and medical devices, and understanding and preventing injuries.

3. What are the main areas of study in biomechanics?

The main areas of study in biomechanics include kinematics (the study of motion), kinetics (the study of forces), and tissue mechanics (the study of the mechanical properties of biological tissues).

4. Do I need a background in math or science to learn biomechanics?

While a strong foundation in math and science is helpful, it is not necessary to have a background in these subjects to learn biomechanics. Many introductory courses cover the necessary concepts and equations.

5. Should I learn biomechanics?

If you are interested in understanding how living systems move and function, then learning biomechanics can be a valuable and rewarding pursuit. It can also be a useful skill for those pursuing careers in fields such as sports science, physical therapy, and biomedical engineering.