1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is biomechanics? Should I learn it?

Tags:
  1. Mar 22, 2015 #1
    Hi, everyone. I am new here.

I am an ocean engineering student. Rerently, I have received an invitation into a biomechanics group which is focus on biomechanics in musculoskeletal system, in particular fluid and solute transport in bone and cartilage. I do not know this area much. What kind of job are people in this area supposed to do after graduation? Postdoc? I expect not a postdoc but a decent job in a company.

So, what do you guys say about this?

Thanks a lot for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2015 #2
    I'm a biomedical equipment technician, not graduated. Recently I'm working also with risk assesment in health care structures.
    I know you may study biomechanics at biomedical engineering.
    Its main applications are in the sector of industrial bioengineering (medical devices like implants, bionics, rehabilitation robotics are examples), but also not least in ergonomics and occupational safety and health.

4. Mar 22, 2015 #3
    Get yourself a copy of Basic Orthopaedic Biomechanics by Van C. Mow. His group at Columbia works in the very area you are describing. I collaborated on some work with his group a few years ago, and learned much of the background material from this book.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook