What is causing my 1/4 NPT fittings to not fit together properly?

  • Thread starter Thread starter axemaster
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fitting
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
axemaster
Messages
58
Reaction score
7
Ok, so here's a weird problem. I am trying to make a 1/4 npt fitting with two pieces of brass pipe.

The tap says:

Vermont
1/4 NPT 18
HSGG M21

The die says:

1/4 NPT
Baystate -5

So I threaded the pieces of pipe, expecting them to fit together nicely... and they didn't - far from it. I found that they were screwing in at an angle, and stopping after a short distance.

Needless to say I'm mystified by this. I've tried threading several pieces, being careful to make nice straight threads, and still this problem remains. I suspect it must have something to do with that "-5" on the die, but I haven't been able to find any references explaining what it means.

Please help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I would imagine because it isn't a 1/4 NPT 18 die. I don't know what "baystate -5" means and I don't think it has to do with the die size (manufacturer maybe?). Regardless, your die probably just doesn't have 18 threads per inch like the tap does.