Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is Chromoelectric dipole moment?

1. Jan 28, 2015 #1
    Basically, I wonder what Chromoelectric dipole moment is and how it is formed...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2015 #2
    It is exactly the same thing as an electric dipole moment, but it's generated from color field. Therefore you must be careful about non-commutativity of the charges

4. Jan 28, 2015 #3

ChrisVer

Gold Member

The Electric Dipole Moment [itex]\vec{d}_f[/itex] of some particle [itex]f[/itex], is defined by its interaction with an electric field [itex]\vec{E}[/itex]:

[itex] H_{EDM} = - \vec{d}_f \cdot \vec{E}[/itex]

For a spin-1/2 particle, this corresponds to the effective lagrangian density:

[itex] \mathcal{L}_{EDM} = \frac{-i}{2} d_f F_{\mu \nu} \bar{\psi}_f \sigma^{\mu \nu} \gamma^5 \psi_f [/itex]

you can have a similar term if you look at quarks [itex]\mathcal{q}_r[/itex], by replacing the electromagnetism with strong ints:

[itex] \mathcal{L}_{CEDM} = \frac{-i}{2} d_r^{CEDM} G_{\mu \nu}^a \bar{\mathcal{q}}_r \sigma^{\mu \nu} \gamma^5 \frac{\lambda^a}{2} \mathcal{q}_r [/itex]

and that's how it arises... In general both EDMs and CEDMs generate P and T (so CP) violations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook