What is impeadence of ionized air?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Agnostic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Air
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 10K views
Agnostic
Messages
110
Reaction score
0
what is impeadence of ionized air?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I've done some google and wiki searching, but I didn't find a good link. Basically, when you have a full-on arc, the impedance is very low (like a wire). The terms to search on are ionization, glow, arc, spark, etc. Spark gap protection devices for data line networks are basically short circuits when they arc over.
 
berkeman said:
I've done some google and wiki searching, but I didn't find a good link. Basically, when you have a full-on arc, the impedance is very low (like a wire). The terms to search on are ionization, glow, arc, spark, etc. Spark gap protection devices for data line networks are basically short circuits when they arc over.


I found one research article in journal of chemistry that says it is 1gigaohm AFTER ionization...which is luidicris(sp?)...
 
Agnostic said:
I found one research article in journal of chemistry that says it is 1gigaohm AFTER ionization..

Depends also on how much ionisation.

In fact, an arc is badly described by an impedance, because the V-I relationship is highly non-linear (while impedance would be the linear coefficient). As berkeman said, for a strong arc, the differential impedance can be near zero (almost no change in V for a change in I).
 
Also, unlike most materials, impedance of air decreases as temperature increases. So a spark that we see as an instantaneous eventis actually a fairly complex process. A little bit of current jumps a gap once the air is sufficiently ionized, and this currwent encounters strong resistance. The passage of current through resistance creates heat (which further ionizes the air, I believe), and causes more current to flow.
 
A couple more things that needs to be taken into account are air pressure and humidity. These things can change the resistance of air quite dramatically
 
Emicro said:
A couple more things that needs to be taken into account are air pressure and humidity. These things can change the resistance of air quite dramatically


assuming STP
 
With proper design, spark gaps can have very low impedances, though I'm afraid I don't know the details of what's required to accomplish this. Devices apparently exist that can switch mega-amperes (with kilovolts power supplies).

Some web references:

http://jamsci.org/2003-10-12/0007/SparkGapTubeArticle.html

(has a bibliography to some literature on the topic, and a quick overview of some of the physics involved, which is considerable).

http://www.amazing1.com/sparkgap.htm

sells a railgun spark gap switch, but wants a lot of money for the plans (don't know if they are on the up-and-up).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark_gap#Power-switching_devices

wikipedia article about spark gaps.
 
Last edited by a moderator: