1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is involved in Canadian high school Calculus classes?

1. Feb 14, 2008 #1

Since few days, I was looking forward to start some pre-calculus classes...but im kind of confused with the 'types' of classes offered.

Oh and im in 9th grade...prob. I'll take it next year(its not available in my school, I will probably have to learn somewhere else,can anyone point out where? I live in Canada...so you know any the institutions offering such class)

Ive heard AP,AB calculus and stuff like that?What are they o.0..? What should I take, I want to really begin, from the start, so pre-calculus is the class right?

Can someone explain in details calculus classes that come before college...just a better preparation ;).....

Tips/Advices are appreciated.Thanks in advance!!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2008 #2
    are there also some preparatory physics classes for college....In my school physics if offered starting at 11th grade ^.^ I might eventually change school for a better one,where physic is offered starting from 10.........

I have heard AP physics..lmao, those are prob. USA related education things, I wonder how is it called in Canada...all those "pre" classes or introductory classes..
  4. Feb 14, 2008 #3
    Please sign up for english.
  5. Feb 14, 2008 #4
    Since ive registered on this forum, there has been always criticism regarding my english. Its now becoming a propaganda against me.......^.^

Ive seen other people not paying attentio to their english (correcting errors,etc).

I do avoid mistakes when it comes to write english somewhere else then a forum or internet (school,etc etc)

I mean no offense to you...just that its annoying. You are all probably some 25 yrs and + people....and im not that old, neither 'that' mature (but i am not immature either...)..^.^
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  6. Feb 14, 2008 #5
    English is a proper noun: It's English and not "english".

Why don't *we* sign up for English. :P
  7. Feb 14, 2008 #6
    Please stop making those text faces. Its really irritating.

I cant understand half of what your typing. What math classes have you taken?
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  8. Feb 14, 2008 #7
    Cool down, I have nothing personal against you...Try to explore other things if you don't have any advice. Once again, I hope you're not taking anything I've said offensively...
  9. Feb 14, 2008 #8
    I am planning to take a calculus class, i dont know which one...
  10. Feb 14, 2008 #9
    Neither do I, what courses in calculus are offered?
  11. Feb 14, 2008 #10
    something introductory, i am only in 9...Also, i am pretty much sure my school doesnt offer pre-calculus or other typical calculus class (not sure)...Do you any other institutions where i might study them. And exactly 'when' should i study them? Starting from 10? I am sure I will have to take classe aside my normal 1's(school)...
  12. Feb 14, 2008 #11
    Practically none. Not in my school...
  13. Feb 14, 2008 #12
    This is what i am asking, what 'class' should i take, i dont even know about what i have as an options in calculus classes....and remember i am still in high school, so nothing high...
  14. Feb 14, 2008 #13
    Seriously, take English. (Or take the time to properly write your questions when you post).

As for the math, I find it hard to believe that any high school would not have pre-calculus. You study calculus when you are ready for it, not when you reach a certain age or grade.
  15. Feb 14, 2008 #14
    I think my school does offer pre-calculus... Can you tell me what are the stuff you view in pre-calculus classes...? I think pre-calculus will likely be part of my regular math program (probably in my 10th-11th grade)..? I am sure its not available as a separate subject...
  16. Feb 14, 2008 #15
    What math course are you currently taking?
  17. Feb 14, 2008 #16
    Regular 9 grade math......
  18. Feb 14, 2008 #17
    I dont know what that means.... Im sure there is a title to the class your taking.
  19. Feb 14, 2008 #18
    And i am in 9th grade to...
  20. Feb 14, 2008 #19
    Math 306
  21. Feb 14, 2008 #20
    Its a math program in Canada, particularly in the Province of Quebec ( I live in Montreal :D)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?