What is involved in Canadian high school Calculus classes?

In summary: So most high schools offer a very wide range of math courses that prepares students for college...I would recommend you to take Calculus I and II in high school.
thinkies
Hello,

Since few days, I was looking forward to start some pre-calculus classes...but I am kind of confused with the 'types' of classes offered.

Oh and I am in 9th grade...prob. I'll take it next year(its not available in my school, I will probably have to learn somewhere else,can anyone point out where? I live in Canada...so you know any the institutions offering such class)

Ive heard AP,AB calculus and stuff like that?What are they o.0..? What should I take, I want to really begin, from the start, so pre-calculus is the class right?

Can someone explain in details calculus classes that come before college...just a better preparation ;)...

Tips/Advices are appreciated.Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
are there also some preparatory physics classes for college...In my school physics if offered starting at 11th grade ^.^ I might eventually change school for a better one,where physics is offered starting from 10...

I have heard AP physics..lmao, those are prob. USA related education things, I wonder how is it called in Canada...all those "pre" classes or introductory classes..

Please sign up for english.

Cyrus said:
Please sign up for english.

Since I've registered on this forum, there has been always criticism regarding my english. Its now becoming a propaganda against me...^.^

Ive seen other people not paying attentio to their english (correcting errors,etc).

Beside, EVERYTHING THAT I HAVE WRITTEN ABOVE IS COMPREHENSIBLE AT LEAST.

I do avoid mistakes when it comes to write english somewhere else then a forum or internet (school,etc etc)

I mean no offense to you...just that its annoying. You are all probably some 25 yrs and + people...and I am not that old, neither 'that' mature (but i am not immature either...)..^.^

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
Please sign up for *english*.

English is a proper noun: It's English and not "english".

Why don't *we* sign up for English. :P

Please stop making those text faces. Its really irritating.

I can't understand half of what your typing. What math classes have you taken?

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
Please stop making those text faces. Its really irritating.

Cool down, I have nothing personal against you...Try to explore other things if you don't have any advice. Once again, I hope you're not taking anything I've said offensively...

Cyrus said:
I can't understand half of what your typing. What math classes have you taken?

I am planning to take a calculus class, i don't know which one...

Neither do I, what courses in calculus are offered?

something introductory, i am only in 9...Also, i am pretty much sure my school doesn't offer pre-calculus or other typical calculus class (not sure)...Do you any other institutions where i might study them. And exactly 'when' should i study them? Starting from 10? I am sure I will have to take classe aside my normal 1's(school)...

Cyrus said:
Neither do I, what courses in calculus are offered?

Practically none. Not in my school...

This is what i am asking, what 'class' should i take, i don't even know about what i have as an options in calculus classes...and remember i am still in high school, so nothing high...

Seriously, take English. (Or take the time to properly write your questions when you post).

As for the math, I find it hard to believe that any high school would not have pre-calculus. You study calculus when you are ready for it, not when you reach a certain age or grade.

I think my school does offer pre-calculus... Can you tell me what are the stuff you view in pre-calculus classes...? I think pre-calculus will likely be part of my regular math program (probably in my 10th-11th grade)..? I am sure its not available as a separate subject...

What math course are you currently taking?

Regular 9 grade math...

I don't know what that means... I am sure there is a title to the class your taking.

And i am in 9th grade to...

Math 306

Its a math program in Canada, particularly in the Province of Quebec ( I live in Montreal :D)

Alegbra, trig, pre calc, calc, these are names of math courses. I don't know what Math306 is.

Well...it seems like your quit not familiar with the Canadian educations system. 9 grade math program is broad... it includes algebra,geometry, 3d solids, probability,etc etc

trig is in 10th grade.

I don't have any pre cal or cal classes. I was wondering if you could tell if i can or should take pre-calculus classes and where should I take them (aside school)

Comeback Cyrus! :)
Joking ;)

Pre-calc comes after Algebra2/Trig I'm guessing.

What classes do 11th and 12th graders take then?

ok.

In Canada, particularly in quebec(province),high school is upto 11th grade.
College starts at 12th...

And due to some recent changes with the ministry of education, math courses in high school are very very competent..since the ministry wants us to be competitive thinkers in math...

thinkies said:
trig is in 10th grade.

I don't have any pre cal or cal classes. I was wondering if you could tell if i can or should take pre-calculus classes and where should I take them (aside school)

This makes no sense. We had classes with titles to them. I don't even know what you have taken, so I can't tell you what to take.

Thanks for your time Cyrus...i guess i wasnt good at explaining what really is my math course...:(

You really need to actually give us some information about these classes. We don't know anything about your school system. Don't you have some kind of course list that lists the names and descriptions of these courses, or syllabuses for these courses? You need to tell us what these courses cover.

as i mentioned up there,high school last upto 11th grade, and math classes generally cover almost everything that are normally viewed in high school...but I am sure pre-calculus is not covered in high school curiculum (though I am not sure, maybe it is?)...

thinkies said:
Thanks for your time Cyrus...i guess i wasnt good at explaining what really is my math course...:(

In general, when you describe something and say, "etc, etc..." you have basically told the person nothing. I can't read your mind to find out what 'etc etc' is...

I'm pretty sure precalc is a high-school course. Some colleges offer some kind of pre-calc class but for low or no credits.

Myself, I took geometry 9th grade, algebra 2 10th grade, precalc 11th grade, and calc 12th grade. And I'm not on an accelerated math schedule.

But like everyone here is saying, we don't know anything about "standard" in your school system. No school systems are "standard".

awvvu said:
You really need to actually give us some information about these classes. We don't know anything about your school system. Don't you have some kind of course list that lists the names and descriptions of these courses, or syllabuses for these courses? You need to tell us what these courses cover.

I have the list of 9th grade syllabuses,however its written in FRENCH! And its sooooooooo tough to translate in english. Often, titles change great in french!

can you tell me what are the topics in algebra 2?
Theres no separate math class in our shchool,nor in Canada...We have geometry,algebra,etc etc combine,