What is involved in Canadian high school Calculus classes?

In summary: So most high schools offer a very wide range of math courses that prepares students for college...I would recommend you to take Calculus I and II in high school.
Cyrus said:
In general, when you describe something and say, "etc, etc..." you have basically told the person nothing. I can't read your mind to find out what 'etc etc' is...

The problem is french, if only i could translate my syllabuses from french to english! But you know how titles change in french for math! for example, when we say linear function(or w/e) in english, its not the same subject in math! It has a different name.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thinkies,

Maybe you should find out or someone from Canada explain to forum readers how secondary school mathematical curricula is structured (in Canada). A good sequence of courses in some regions of the world may conform to :

Introductory Algebra, Plane/Euclidean/College Preparatory Geometry; Intermediate Algebra; ...

After which you may find various courses like these:

Trigonometry (just a Trigonometry course);
Trigonometry and Mathematical Analysis (which could be a PreCalculus course but less advanced than what you find at community colleges);
PreCalculus (which might again be just another name for Trig + Math analysis, again also including some algebra more advanced than what was in Intermediate Algebra);
Mathematical Analysis (yes, again this is often what the high schools call their PreCalculus course, having Algebra at and a little above intermediate level, and some rigorous Trigonometry).

Those descriptions and sequencing might help you, but your high school counselor should also advise you, as well as your Mathematics teacher. Your description of your current course seems like a mess. Too many different general topic areas, the course not fully dedicated to any of them.

Be aware the Mathematical Analysis course in a high school is not equivalent to any kind of "Real Analysis" or "Complex Analysis" that you find in a college or university. The high school math analysis or PreCalculus courses might at the very most present an introduction to limits, and proofs by mathematical induction. Also know that Math Analysis or PreCalculus at a high school are LESS than a Precalculus course at colleges and universities.

thinkies said:
The problem is french, if only i could translate my syllabuses from french to english! But you know how titles change in french for math! for example, when we say linear function(or w/e) in english, its not the same subject in math! It has a different name.

Here are the course descriptions at my school.

Algebra 2:

Topics studied include the properties, applications, algebra, and parametric representation of functions; matrix algorithms; and linear, quadratic, radical, exponential, logarithmic, polynomial, and rational functions.

Precalc:

Precalculus completes the formal study of the elementary functions begun in Algebra 1 and continued in Algebra 2. Students use the mathematical and modeling skills previously developed to study and apply the trigonometric functions. The use of technology and problem solving are emphasized in units covering data analysis, circular functions, and trigonometric inverses and identities. The concepts of trigonometry are extended to the study of polar coordinates and complex numbers. Conics and quadratic relations are introduced through a locus definition using polar representations. Discrete topics include the Principles of Mathematical Induction, the Binomial Theorem, and sequences and series, where sequences are represented both explicitly and recursively.

symbolipoint said:
Thinkies,

Maybe you should find out or someone from Canada explain to forum readers how secondary school mathematical curricula is structured (in Canada). A good sequence of courses in some regions of the world may conform to :

Introductory Algebra, Plane/Euclidean/College Preparatory Geometry; Intermediate Algebra; ...

After which you may find various courses like these:

Trigonometry (just a Trigonometry course);
Trigonometry and Mathematical Analysis (which could be a PreCalculus course but less advanced than what you find at community colleges);
PreCalculus (which might again be just another name for Trig + Math analysis, again also including some algebra more advanced than what was in Intermediate Algebra);
Mathematical Analysis (yes, again this is often what the high schools call their PreCalculus course, having Algebra at and a little above intermediate level, and some rigorous Trigonometry).

Those descriptions and sequencing might help you, but your high school counselor should also advise you, as well as your Mathematics teacher. Your description of your current course seems like a mess. Too many different general topic areas, the course not fully dedicated to any of them.

Be aware the Mathematical Analysis course in a high school is not equivalent to any kind of "Real Analysis" or "Complex Analysis" that you find in a college or university. The high school math analysis or PreCalculus courses might at the very most present an introduction to limits, and proofs by mathematical induction. Also know that Math Analysis or PreCalculus at a high school are LESS than a Precalculus course at colleges and universities.

AHHH! Much much better. ^.^ i thought calculus was wayyyyy different. I am actually learning some of these o.0...i didnt know they were called 'pre calculus'....o.0

In this case, can I take some 'advance' pre-cal classes,for better college preparation.If so,where should i take them?

as i mentioned,titles vary from french to english ^.^

You really going to have to stop writing like that, please.

awvvu said:
Here are the course descriptions at my school.

Algebra 2:

Topics studied include the properties, applications, algebra, and parametric representation of functions; matrix algorithms; and linear, quadratic, radical, exponential, logarithmic, polynomial, and rational functions.

Precalc:

Precalculus completes the formal study of the elementary functions begun in Algebra 1 and continued in Algebra 2. Students use the mathematical and modeling skills previously developed to study and apply the trigonometric functions. The use of technology and problem solving are emphasized in units covering data analysis, circular functions, and trigonometric inverses and identities. The concepts of trigonometry are extended to the study of polar coordinates and complex numbers. Conics and quadratic relations are introduced through a locus definition using polar representations. Discrete topics include the Principles of Mathematical Induction, the Binomial Theorem, and sequences and series, where sequences are represented both explicitly and recursively.

oooh..this course is offered in 10th grade at my school (im in 9,so next year)..Though its not called algebra II ^.^

Cyrus said:
You really going to have to stop writing like that, please.

Whats bothering..my grammar,vocabulary or sentences? It seems like my english is mentally torturing you

No offense...

Thinkies, when you come into certain social groups, you generally have to change your attitude if you expect any form of respect. I'm surprised Cyrus has been this patient with you. Cyrus has been trying to assist you, and the least you can do is attempt to make yourself more clear.

Besides, the ... and the ^,^ are annoying. Simply try to write a clear sentence. That way you won't have to repeat yourself. A little bit of effort here saves you from a lot of effort later.

Anyway, what you described, seems to me, as a simple pre-algebra class. A class that seems to cover graphs, some geometry, some basic probability, and solving basic equations. I didn't realize people took that pre-algebra type classes in high school, but that is what it appears you are taking.

Anyway, you're jumping to far ahead of yourself. Why begin to think about Calculus, before you even finished algebra. If you want to prepare for it, do well in everything before it. After you master some "advance" algebra skills and Trig skills, you'll be ready for Calculus.

Until then, stop bouncing around and trying to go ahead. Focus on NOW to do well LATER.

The Canadian School System 101:

The Canadian high school system is similar to the American one. It goes from kindergarten to 12th grade (Grade 12). There is no national school system, each province sets its own curriculum. After high school (Grades 9 to 12), people go on to college. Quebec, however, is different. High school ends at 11th grade, students then go on to a sort of junior college called a CEGEP (French for "college of general and professional education") for two years, after which they may go on to a university.

For example, McGill's bachelor's degrees are only three years in duration, unlike those of other Canadian provinces and U.S. states. But if you are from outside of Quebec, you are forced to take an extra "Freshman year" ("freshman" and sometimes "frosh" is Canadian English for a first-year student in college), bringing the total up to the usual four years.

AP courses are offered throughout Canada, though in many provinces they are not as popular as in the U.S. However they are popular in some provinces where the curriculum isn't very challenging, e.g. some provinces do not even teach calculus in high school.