What is life like in Canada, especially Vancouver BC?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Canada Life
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
355 replies · 42K views
revelator said:
Damn straight! Go Rush.

Don't forget the Trailer Park Boys, got to love them guys..

And who could forget Degrassi Junior High/Degrassi High? Arguably THE most realistic portrayal of high school life ever to be on television. Degrassi was directly responsible for BH:90210 which then led to all those other crappy high school dramas. But Degrassi started it all and was the best. Canada has some pretty awesome shows…. Yep.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Red Green! The Royal Canadian Air Farce! I love watching CBC.
 
Smurf said:
Blasphemous Heretic! Thou Shalt Be Destroyed by My Mighty Hockey Stick!

I always hear on TV that hockey was invented in Canada.That is simply BS!
Check 16 century paintings of Dutch or Flemish painter Van Eyck(I don't remember the name exactly,but he is Big master painter)
He painted in few of his works kids and adults wearing primitive skates and playing hockey with sticks on frozen dikes and lakes.
So.. Canadians shove it!
 
http://www.pch.gc.ca/progs/cpsc-ccsp/sc-cs/o-cda.ra

http://www.pch.gc.ca/progs/cpsc-ccsp/sc-cs/anthem_e.cfm
 
tumor said:
I always hear on TV that hockey was invented in Canada.That is simply BS!
Check 16 century paintings of Dutch or Flemish painter Van Eyck(I don't remember the name exactly,but he is Big master painter)
He painted in few of his works kids and adults wearing primitive skates and playing hockey with sticks on frozen dikes and lakes.
So.. Canadians shove it!

the game known as "hockey" with the current rules, etc was started in montreal:

"From Stanley Street on the east side to Drummond Street on the west side and the two lane ways, define a space that allowed us to have a rink of approximately 200 X 80 ... 200 X 85 feet"
http://montreal.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=hockeyhome020705
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah so you shove it!
gawd;
I can't take much more of this heresy
 
Nobody knows where hockey was first played. Anybody that professes to is either very biased for one reason or another or just terribly uninformed.

Lots of places including Montreal, Halifax, Quebec, Windsor NS and others have legitimate claims.

And count me as another huge fan of both TPB and Degrassi. I always had a crush on Caitlyn growing up!

:-p
 
Smurf said:
Yeah so you shove it!
gawd;
I can't take much more of this heresy

Sorry Man! I did not mean to offend anyone. :redface:
One more thing about Canada though;
Canada is the place where political correctness was maybe not invented but perfected.(I think I mentioned that in my previous post, hmm?).
 
ek said:
I always had a crush on Caitlyn growing up!
:-p


LoL! Everyone had a crush on her!
 
Canadians never say hockey was invented in Canada.

Besides, who cares where it was invented, we still beat the US at the gold.
 
Oh, getting back to the government.

Today, I read in my school paper that there is a motion building for electoral reform.
Basically they want “popular votes translated directly into the number of seats awarded to a given political party.”

I think this is a terrible idea for the following obvious reasons:
- Majority governments (which are much more effective than minority ones) would be extremely rare.
- People’s concerns wouldn’t get heard because they wouldn’t have a local MP to bring concerns to.
- How would the representing MPs be chosen? (e.g. 35% of the seats won by Liberals. Who of the Liberal Party gets those seats?)
- Near zero chance of independent candidates being represented.

http://www.gazette.uwo.ca/article.cfm?section=FrontPage&articleID=153&month=11&day=18&year=2004
 
Last edited by a moderator:
JasonRox said:
Canadians never say hockey was invented in Canada.

Yes they do, just like Americans think they invented first car.

Check this two paintings by Pieter Bruegel,1565 "The hunters in the snow" and 1565 "Winter landscape with a bird trap"



Sorry for the pictures quality,but believe me those people down there on the frozen lakes play hockey, 300 years before Canada even existed.
 
Attachments
  • pieter bruegel.jpg
    pieter bruegel.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 510
  • op.jpg
    op.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 469
  • p.bruegel.jpg
    p.bruegel.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:
IF tumor = Mention(Van Eyck) Excess 1
Return Post = Fourier jr
count = "Shove It"
END
 
tumor said:
Yes they do, just like Americans think they invented first car.

Anything that I've seen in the last couple of decades shows that Ford invented the production assembly line; not the automobile.

...and we all know that Al Gore invented the internet. :biggrin:
 
Can anyone tell me about the area along the Canadian/Washington border - along the National route 1? There are a number of towns shown such as Abbotsford and Chilliwack; even as far East as Hope. What is this part of the country like? Is the area rugged or fairly developed? What are the highways like in the winter?
 
check said:
- Majority governments (which are much more effective than minority ones) would be extremely rare

There's the counter-argument that says minority governments are more efficient, as no party has a clear majority, each one is in a position where they'll want to do things to please the electorate.
 
revelator said:
There's the counter-argument that says minority governments are more efficient, as no party has a clear majority, each one is in a position where they'll want to do things to please the electorate.

That's true. I was thinking efficiency interms of speed of passing bills though. But yeah, minority governments would benifit the people more...in theory.
 
In theory democracy is supposed to be fair and represent the people. So much for Theory.
 
tumor said:
Yes they do, just like Americans think they invented first car.

Check this two paintings by Pieter Bruegel,1565 "The hunters in the snow" and 1565 "Winter landscape with a bird trap"



Sorry for the pictures quality,but believe me those people down there on the frozen lakes play hockey, 300 years before Canada even existed.

do the dutch (or whoever) say they invented figure skating & speed skating also just because there are people skating in those pics?




& I like how in Mike Moore's movie "Roger & Me" a couple GM workers try to say that the Industrial Revolution (capitalised) started in the USA, and not 100+ yrs earlier in Britain
 
Ivan Seeking said:
Can anyone tell me about the area along the Canadian/Washington border - along the National route 1? There are a number of towns shown such as Abbotsford and Chilliwack; even as far East as Hope. What is this part of the country like? Is the area rugged or fairly developed? What are the highways like in the winter?

I have never been there, but I have met a guy from Chilliwack once (this town name does stick in your mind...), and he was just just as ... "civilized" as anyone coming from a developed area. All Canadian highways I have seen are always very clean in the winter. It is during a storm that you must very extra careful. It will happen a few times each year, radios will recommend not driving, 100km/h traffic becomes 60km/h, with about 10% the usual amount of cars on the roads. But plows work around the clock, so that the public roads are always clean before your own driveway, which is quite nice.

I would expect the Chiliwack region highway conditions to be similar to or better than what I have seen in the east, but don't take my word for it.
 
I live in Lake Mary, FL. Although I don't like living here because of the heat, traffic, and people. But it really is a beautiful area to live in. City is constantly planting new trees and flowers. Too bad so many idiots live here.
 
Entropy said:
City is constantly planting new trees and flowers. Too bad so many idiots live here.

You mean of course old Canadian geezers coming to live there, over the winter months right?
And i want to shatter another huge myth about Canada, people often say how clean Canadian cities are :smile: :smile:
I live in toronto and toronto is the dirtiest city i have ever seen.Garbage everywhere,on sidewalks,on subways,buses, etc.
When there is garbage collection day, buisnesess and restaurants put their garbage on sidewalks in black garbage bags or whatever they have at hand, and sometimes all of that stuff gets thrown on the street,it looks like third World country(and it stinks BIG time! in the summer)
On my visit to Chicago or other US places, i find their cities much more cleaner and taken care of.
PS.Picking **** after your dog in Canada is still new thing.
 
Yeah, I'll agree with tumor about Toronto. I found Manhatten to be much cleaner. Although, cities like Detroit and Buffalo are just plain icky compared to the 'T dot'. (However, I suspect that's true when comparing those cities with most places).

I do think for the most part that Canadian cities are pretty clean...more or less.
 
When I visited toronto, it seem clean compare to montreal. In downtown montreal, the alleys and are dirty and lack proper sanitition levels. People actually pee in those alleys and buisnesses and restaurant throw their garbage in their and it ends a big smelly mess.

The trash on the street also get some full that stuff is coming out of it.
 
iansmith said:
People actually pee in those alleys

I think we've all taken a leak in an alley at one time or another after a night of heavy drinking at the bars...eh?
 
check said:
I think we've all taken a leak in an alley at one time or another after a night of heavy drinking at the bars...eh?

I even took a dump sometimes :blushing:
 
Well I saw someone piss on a wall on 5th avenue in Manhattan in broad daylight on a weekday.

Montreal, Toronto, have really clean areas. I would tend to think that Toronto is cleaner, while Montreal is more "active". I have only seen clean areas in Ottawa and Victoria. In fact, Ottawa is one of the cleanest cities I've ever seen.
 
I'm from Canada. If you value your fingertips and earlobes...stay away
 
Oh, dear... :eek:

Or is that a veiled warning (cuz you don't like Americans)? :biggrin:
 
check said:
I think we've all taken a leak in an alley at one time or another after a night of heavy drinking at the bars...eh?

I'm not innocent but I was a young stupid kid that did not better :wink: .

The mix of garbage and nitrogen waste is not the most pleasant and when it occuyrs every few block it makes everything worst.