What is meant by a complete solution ?

• Thread starter pellman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complete
In summary, a complete solution of a system of ODEs refers to the combination of the homogeneous solution and the particular solution, which can then be used to apply initial or boundary conditions. This can be understood in terms of vector fields and integral curves, as well as the traditional definition of a solution with zero and nonzero righthand sides.
pellman
What is meant by a "complete solution"?

What is meant by a complete solution of a system of ODEs? (Such, as for example, in the Hamiltonian formulation of an N-particle system)

I am trying to relate the definition here
http://books.google.com/books?id=4Y...y-yXBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result which is given in terms of vector fields and integral curves to something with which I am more familiar.

Physics news on Phys.org

A complete solution consist of the homogeneous solution (solution with zero righthand sides) and the particular solution (solution with nonzero righthand sides). This is the solution to which you can then apply initial conditions or boundary conditions

Thanks. That's what I thought, I'm just not able to "see" yet that the two descriptions are really the same thing. But I'll get it eventually.

What is meant by a complete solution?

A complete solution refers to a solution that adequately addresses all aspects of a problem or question.

Why is it important to have a complete solution?

Having a complete solution ensures that all necessary factors have been considered and accounted for, leading to a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the problem at hand.

What are the key components of a complete solution?

The key components of a complete solution may vary depending on the problem, but generally include thorough research, analysis, and consideration of potential limitations and implications.

How can one determine if a solution is complete?

A complete solution can be determined by evaluating whether all relevant information has been gathered and analyzed, and whether all potential outcomes have been considered and addressed.

Can a solution ever be considered completely perfect?

While a solution can be considered complete, it is rare for it to be considered completely perfect as new information and variables may arise that were not initially considered. However, a complete solution should strive to be as accurate and comprehensive as possible.