What Is the Meaning of Thermokinetics?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
nomadreid
Gold Member
Messages
1,779
Reaction score
258
Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermokinetics says that "thermokinetics" studies the rate of chemical decomposition, whereas a dictionary https://www.yourdictionary.com/thermokinetic gets no further than saying that it combines thermodynamics and kinetics, and a book on it https://books.google.co.il/books?id...CXoECAEQAQ#v=onepage&q=thermokinetics&f=false introduces it in such vague terms as to appear meaningless... etc. I could get no consistent definition of it, and I suspect that it is not a standard term. But maybe I am looking in the wrong places. Is it a standard term, and if so, what is its precise meaning? Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why is it so important for you to have a precise definition of this term? I actually have never heard it before, and I couldn't care less. Your objective should be to master the technology, and not be so concerned with terminology. If you want a really good book on chemical reactor kinetics and heat transfer, see Octave Levenspiel's book Chemical Reaction Engineering, or Scott Fogler's book The Elements of Chemical Kinetics and Reactor Calculations.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: vanhees71
Chestermiller, thanks for the indirect answer -- that you had never heard of the term. The reason I wished to know the exact term was simply that I was translating an article for a Russian physicist; he had used this term in his own (flawed) attempt to translate it himself into English, but I suspected this was due to the Russian penchant for coining terms. In an ideal world, translators would be well versed in the fields that they translate, but in reality usually only translators with a scientific background but not necessarily in the same field as the article is all that is usually available. That is, since this is not my field, I wished to have confirmation from those in the corresponding field before I advised said physicist not to use the term.

Alas, I cannot learn all fields about which I translate in depth. It would be nice, but...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: vanhees71 and Delta2