What is NASA's Orion Mission and Why Should You Care?

  • Topic: NASA 
  • Thread starter Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    orion
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Nope. Not new. The Orion CEV has been part of the Constellation project since its inception. I'm not sure where it will go now that Ares I has been canceled, but if I had to guess I suppose it will end up getting used on a Delta IV or Atlas V as part of a bid for NASA's COTS LEO manned program.

EDIT:
According to Wikipedia it will go on the Shuttle Derived Launch Vehicle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuttle-Derived_Launch_Vehicle" )
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It is still current, but not new. It has been in the works for probably a decade. It's future is in question though in light of the cancellation of Constellation.