What is quantum physics used for?

In summary, Quantum physics is a fundamental aspect of many fields such as electronics, engineering, and other scientific fields. It is also closely related to almost every other field. Without quantum physics, we wouldn't have advanced technologically and would have a limited understanding of processes in fields like astronomy and astrophysics. It also plays a crucial role in explaining phenomena like nuclear fusion and white dwarfs, as well as providing the underlying theory for chemistry.
FishmanGeertz
I know absolutely nothing about physics. I know that classical mechanics is used in engineering and whatnot, but could anyone explain the uses of quantum physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is used in electronics, engineering, other scientific fields, and in some way is related to almost every field out there. Without quantum physics, I don't think we would know how a semiconductor works, and would probably be far less advanced technologically.

FishmanGeertz said:
I know absolutely nothing about physics. I know that classical mechanics is used in engineering and whatnot, but could anyone explain the uses of quantum physics?

Check out the application section of this wiki link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mechanics

What about astronomy and astrophysics?

FishmanGeertz said:
What about astronomy and astrophysics?

I would say most likely. I'm not sure the process behind nuclear fusion and other stellar phenomena would be understood as well as they are without quantum mechanics.

"Providing the underlying theory for almost all of chemistry" is also a pretty significant use, IMO. :)

alxm said:
"Providing the underlying theory for almost all of chemistry" is also a pretty significant use, IMO. :)

Agreed!

Drakkith said:
I would say most likely. I'm not sure the process behind nuclear fusion and other stellar phenomena would be understood as well as they are without quantum mechanics.

Nuclear fusion would practically impossible without a bit of quantum tunnelling!

1. What is quantum physics used for?

Quantum physics is used to study the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It also helps us understand the fundamental laws of nature and how particles interact with each other.

2. How is quantum physics applied in technology?

Quantum physics has many practical applications in technology, such as in transistors and computer chips, lasers, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. It also plays a crucial role in the development of quantum computing and cryptography.

3. Can quantum physics be used to explain everyday phenomena?

While quantum physics primarily deals with the behavior of particles on a microscopic level, its principles can also be applied to understand everyday phenomena, such as the behavior of light, magnetism, and electricity.

4. How does quantum physics impact our understanding of the universe?

Quantum physics has revolutionized our understanding of the universe by providing the framework for understanding the behavior of matter and energy at the most fundamental level. It has also led to the development of theories such as the Big Bang and the Standard Model of particle physics.

5. Can quantum physics be used to travel through time or parallel universes?

While science fiction often portrays time travel and parallel universes as possible through quantum physics, there is currently no scientific evidence to support these claims. Quantum physics does, however, allow for the existence of parallel universes according to some interpretations of the theory.