Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is tensor calculus?

Tags:
  1. Jun 18, 2017 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2017 #2
    I need help.

4. Jun 18, 2017 #3
  5. Jun 19, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Not sure, whether this is correct what I'm going to say, because "calculus" as an English word is often used quite synonymous to "analysis" whereas in my language it means "system of calculation methods". So I interpret it in the sense of the latter and understand "tensor calculus" as computational methods where tensors are used. This could simply be how to deal with tensors, or a rather algebraic point of view if we consider tensor algebras and their categorical properties, or a topological point of view if we consider tensor fields, which are similar defined as vector fields, or analytically - and this is more likely - the connection of tensors on one hand, and tangent spaces, curvatures and differential forms on the other hand. Personally I would all of them summarize under "tensor calculus" and only spent a different amount of space for the different perspectives.

6. Jun 19, 2017 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

7. Jun 19, 2017 #6

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Similar in English, actually, Calculus, sometimes 'Algebra' is used, as the rules used to operate with/on the objects.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted