Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is that indicator/math symbol?

1. Aug 11, 2017 #1
    Some sort of hazziness inside a circle ..name of that??

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2017 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

4. Aug 11, 2017 #3

fresh_42

And it's only made to let English native speakers look bad, as it is no "th" but originally pronounced as "teta", and of course with an "eh", not an "e". :-p

5. Aug 11, 2017 #4

Drakkith

Err, what?

6. Aug 11, 2017 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is an uppercase theta; you are probably mores used to seeing a lowercase theta.

7. Aug 11, 2017 #6

fresh_42

Ancient Greek: θῆτα thē̂ta [tʰɛ̂ːta]

8. Aug 11, 2017 #7

Drakkith

Oh, you're just saying it was originally pronounced differently than we do now.

9. Aug 11, 2017 #8

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Greek-Americans that I asked pronounce it "thita," rhyming with "pita" but enunciating the t.

10. Aug 11, 2017 #9
    Isberg and Resnick really confuses me He could use beta,gamma or anything, instead of this uppercase theta

11. Aug 11, 2017 #10

mfb

2016 Award

As this is in the context of radioactivity, alpha beta or gamma would be a problematic choice, and you probably want to keep delta for delta-electrons as well. ##\theta## for angles is quite common,no idea why that text uses ##\Theta##.

12. Aug 11, 2017 #11

fresh_42

Yes, but whether one pronounces it in modern Greek, with an "[ i ]" or in ancient Greek with an "[ e ]", the "th" is wrong, as it is the Greek version of a "t" which is pronounced as a "t". Perhaps I should start and say the Steelers are from Pittsborough ...
    Edit: I might have been wrong here, as the Greek have a sound [##t^h##] which is closer to "th" than to "t", something as in "theft". I had forgotten that there is also the ##\tau## for "t".
    Yes, but modern Greek is a bit different from the ancient language.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  13. Aug 11, 2017 #12

fresh_42

We usually loot every alphabet we can get a hand on ##a,b,c,\ldots , \alpha,\beta,\gamma,\ldots , \mathfrak{a},\mathfrak{g},\mathfrak{h},\ldots, \mathbb{C},\mathbb{F},\mathbb{N},\ldots ,\mathcal{A},\mathcal{B},\mathcal{C},\ldots , \mathscr{A},\mathscr{B},\mathscr{C}##
    that it makes me wonder why we don't use и , я , ч , etc.

14. Aug 11, 2017 #13

mfb

2016 Award

15. Aug 15, 2017 #14

Mark44

Don't forget the Hebrew letter aleph (##\aleph##), as in ##\aleph_0, \aleph_1## and so on.

16. Aug 17, 2017 at 4:00 PM #15
    Arabic has some interesting letters. Too many important symbols have a wide variety of meanings

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted