What is the purpose of this symbol?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter TheCanadian
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Symbol
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
TheCanadian
Messages
361
Reaction score
13
What exactly is the name and operation of the symbol that is found right after the approximately equal sign in the attachment? I have come across it a lot in readings, and I feel like I should clear up what it is.
 
Attachments
  • Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 2.07.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 2.07.53 PM.png
    952 bytes · Views: 701
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The symbol in question is German upper case letter J

On "the approximately equal sign"... watch Carl Bender @ 50:10 - 51:10
 
Dexitify gives ##\Im##. German J looks like ##\mathfrak{J}##.
Agree with micromass. The imaginary part makes sense contextually as well (approximating the derivative along the imaginary axis).