What is the Acceleration of a Cheetah Reaching Full Speed in 3 Strides?

  • Thread starter Thread starter hiddenlife5009
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acceleration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
hiddenlife5009
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A cheetah, the fastest of all land animals over a short distance, can accelerate from zero to 18.0 m/s in three strides and to a full speed of 31.3 m/s in seconds. Assuming the first three strides are each 4.1 m long and that acceleration is constant until the cheetah reaches full speed, what is the cheetah's acceleration (in m/s2)?

Homework Equations



-

The Attempt at a Solution



It is a basic question, but I am over looking something because I cannot figure out which equation I should use. From what I know, I need time to find out what the acceleration is, but no time variable is stated. The question also gives you the stride lengths which just confuses me even more.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You should write out all the kinematic equations you know. Given the right equation, you won't need the time. But you can find the time by considering the average speed.
 
Doc Al said:
You should write out all the kinematic equations you know. Given the right equation, you won't need the time. But you can find the time by considering the average speed.

Thanks for the help, I have worked it out now.