1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity Question - Odd answers

1. Jun 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Part A

A cheetah, the fastest of all land animals over a short distance, can accelerate from zero to 18.0 m/s in three strides and to a full speed of 31.3 m/s in seconds. Assuming the first three strides are each 4.2 m long and that acceleration is constant until the cheetah reaches full speed, what is the cheetah's acceleration (in m/s2)?

Part B

If in part (a) of this question the cheetah's first three strides were each 4.6 m long, how many seconds would it take to reach its full speed?

2. Relevant equations

[​IMG]

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so for Part A I use the above equation:

31.3^2 - 18^2 = 2*a*12.6 (12.6 = 3 strides)

979.69 - 324 = 25.2a

655.69 = 25.2a

a = 26.02

Ok this is where it gets weird. That is not the answer, but when I divide it by 2, I get 13.01 which is within 0.1 of the answer showing on the online test. Every time I try this question with different velocities, I am within 0.1 of the online test's correct answer. The test gives me the mark, but I can not help but wonder if it's me doing something wrong or is the programming on the online test a bit off.

I am not really concerned about Part A, but Part B I just can't understand. I have tried using the rearranged velocity equations and the simple speed equation, but I still can't get the answer shown. The answer for Part B is 2.67 seconds.

EDIT: Sorry about the attachment, not sure how to make it appear within the post.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2007 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

For (a):

If the cheetah is accelerating from rest, your initial velocity is zero, not 18 m/s. The question says in the first three strides the cheetah goes from 0 to 18 m/s. You don't know how many strides it took the cheetah to get from 18 m/s to 31.3 m/s, and I don't think you should assume it's three.

4. Jun 12, 2007 #3

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There seems to be a missing word before "seconds"... without that I can't help with the question.

5. Jun 12, 2007 #4
    I'm quite sure its not missing, I think its trying to say "to a full speed of 31.3 m/s within seconds", meaning it can get to the max speed within a general time frame of a few seconds (insignificant). I guess its just trying to tell you its max speed.

EDIT: Hage567 - Thanks for that, by doing 18^2 / 25.2, it give me the exact answer shown. Still funny that the online test gives me the mark for a completely wrong method that is always within the 0.1 boundary.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?