• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

What is the acceleration of the block?

1. Homework Statement
A 50.0-kg block is being pulled up a 16.0° slope by a force of 250 N that is parallel to the slope. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the slope is 0.200. What is the acceleration of the block?

2. Homework Equations
FkkN
F=MA

3. The Attempt at a Solution
answer is .412 m/s2. I know the answer I just don't know the steps to solve this equation.
It is saying it is being pulled up, does that mean it has tension instead of normal force? it is not sitting on anything so it can not have a normal force right?

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
answer is .412 m/s2. I know the answer I just don't know the steps to solve this equation.
You don't even have an equation to solve, and how do you know that is the right answer?
It is saying it is being pulled up, does that mean it has tension instead of normal force? it is not sitting on anything so it can not have a normal force right?
Surely the block is sittig on a slope? A tension is a force. Is the block being pulled by a rope or has someone just grabbed it and pulled it? Does it matter to the question?

Your first step is to sketch a free body diagram ... you will have course notes about this: so how many forces are on the block, and what are they?

Surely the block is suittig on a slope?
Your first step is to sketch a free body diagram ... you will have course notes about this: so how many forces are on the block, and what are they?
In that case, there is a normal force. So the forces on the block are the Normal force, MG and 250cos16, 250 sin16

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Identify the forces themselves - you have a normal force to the slope, gravity, friction, and the pulling force.
GIve them names - so you have ##F_g=mg## pointing vertically down, ##N## points upwards at 90deg to the slope, ##f=\mu N## points down the slope and ##F=250##N points up the slope. F is only one force, not two like you wrote. Don't do the cosine and sine stuff untilyou decide how to orient your axes - hint: point x axis up the slope.