What is the advantage of a binocular telescope (such as the LBT)?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter LBT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescope
In summary, the advantage of a binocular over a single mirror telescope is in terms of angular resolution. This advantage can be understood by looking at the Wikipedia page on Astronomical interferometer, where a parabolic arrangement is used to create a big telescope with "holes" in it. The image from this arrangement can be synthesized using computations or optically combined. The design of a Michelson interferometer can also help in understanding this process. As for telescopes like the LBT, the mirrors do not need to be arranged in a parabolic fashion as long as each is the same distance from the detector. This is because a line must travel equally as far to reach the focus point no matter where it hits on the mirror, as shown
LBT
I"m wondering what is the advantage of a binocular as opposed to a single mirror telescope. I know that the advantage is supposed to be in terms of angular resolution, but I don't understand what that means and how to use this.

If I look at the Wikipedia page on Astronomical interferometer, I can understand how a parabolic arrangement can be useful: it's basically just a big telescope with "holes" in it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Interf_diagram.gif"

Even in this example, I'm not sure I understand how exactly one could synthesize a single image from such an array using merely computations. Is this even possible or do you need to combine the image optically?

The Wikipedia image seems to be about the telescopes all focusing on a single point and the beams being combined optically. I looked at the design of a Michelson interferometer and that sort of makes sense.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Interferometer.svg" Though I'm not sure I understand exactly how one would combine the light beams to produce the right interference.

Now, the second part of my question is about a telescope like the LBT where the mirrors don't seem to be arranged in a parabolic configuration, and that's even more puzzling.

Sorry for the length of the question, but maybe you know of a tutorial explaining this.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Ugh, I looked up as much as I could, but I don't know enough to help you out much LBT.

All I can help you with is this:

Now, the second part of my question is about a telescope like the LBT where the mirrors don't seem to be arranged in a parabolic configuration, and that's even more puzzling.

The mirrors don't need to be arranged in a parabolic fashion as long as each is the same distance from the detector. If you take a parabolic mirror you will find that a line has to travel equally as far to get to the focus point no matter where on the mirror it hits. See here for more on that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parabola#Derivation_of_the_focus

If you cut the mirror up into 100 pieces, you can take those pieces and put them into their own telescopes, and as long as each one is equally distant from its new focus as all the others, then you can use them as if they were one big mirror still.

What is the advantage of a binocular telescope (such as the LBT)?

1. What is the difference between a binocular telescope and a traditional telescope?

A binocular telescope, also known as a binocular viewer, uses two parallel optical tubes to provide a stereoscopic view of the night sky. This allows for a more immersive and realistic viewing experience compared to a traditional telescope, which uses a single optical tube.

2. How does the binocular design of the LBT contribute to its advantages?

The binocular design of the LBT (Large Binocular Telescope) allows for a wider field of view and higher spatial resolution, as the two optical tubes work together to create a more detailed and clear image. This makes it ideal for observing large celestial objects, such as galaxies and nebulae.

3. Can binocular telescopes be used for both terrestrial and astronomical viewing?

Yes, binocular telescopes, including the LBT, can be used for both terrestrial and astronomical viewing. The two parallel optical tubes can be adjusted to provide a single, magnified image for terrestrial viewing, making it a versatile tool for both scientific and recreational purposes.

4. What are the benefits of using a binocular telescope for scientific research?

The use of a binocular telescope, such as the LBT, in scientific research allows for more accurate and detailed observations of celestial objects. Its high spatial resolution and wide field of view make it valuable for studying various astronomical phenomena, such as exoplanets, star clusters, and transient events.

5. Are there any limitations to using a binocular telescope like the LBT?

One potential limitation of using a binocular telescope is the increased weight and complexity of the instrument. This may make it more challenging to transport and set up compared to a traditional telescope. Additionally, the use of two optical tubes may require more time and effort to align and calibrate, but the benefits of its design ultimately outweigh these potential limitations.