What is the Approximated Value of \Phi(x) for x>3.5 in a Normal Distribution?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
DamjanMk
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi,
I'd like to know the value that [tex]\Phi(x)[/tex] of a normal distribution is approximated when x> 3,5.
I assume it is 1, since the value for x=3,49 is 0,9998...
But I got some answers at the university that it might be 0,5

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no finite value of for which it is 1: that is, if you calculate precisely, it will always be the case that [itex]\Phi(x) < 1[/itex] for a finite number [itex]x[/itex]. For example, [itex]\Phi(4) \approx 0.9999683[/itex] and [itex]\Phi(5) \approx 0.9999997[/itex] (calculation from R software). However, just like my two examples, the values essentially get so close to 1 that the difference is, for almost all situations, immaterial.

For your second comment ("But I got some answers at the university that it might be 0,5") - if you mean 0.5, that is definitely false: the only value that gives [itex]\Phi(x) = 0.5[/itex] is
[itex]x = 0[/itex].