What is the area of a square drawn inside a triangle?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area of a square drawn inside an isosceles triangle with given side lengths. The process involves setting up equations and using similar triangles to solve for the side length of the square.
diredragon

Homework Statement

Given the isosceles triangle whose sides are :
c=10
b=13
find the are of a square drawn inside the triangle whose upper edges touch the b sides of the triangle.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I named the side of the square a.
First i made two equations that both involve a quantity a. The length of a triangle side b i divided into d and 13 - d. It is divided by the point at which the square touches the side.
[itex]d^2 = a^2 + \frac{(10 - a)^2}{4})[/itex]
[itex](13 - d)^2 = \frac{a^2}{4} + (12 - a)^2[/itex]
I can't now figure out how to get a from this. I mean there has to be an easier way than replacing a by d from one of the two expressions. I missed something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that it would be more appropriate to draw it and show where is each part. That would be more helpful to you and to anyone want to help, as it will clear out any misunderstandings.

The small right triangle in the lower left of the drawing is similar to the larger triangle to the left. That should give you 2 linear equations with a and d.

Likes diredragon
There are many ways to think about this but I think the easiest is what Samy_A suggests.

i get 60/11 to be (a) using the similar triangles.

diredragon said:
i get 60/11 to be (a) using the similar triangles.
I also got that for ##a##.

Likes diredragon
You can maybe simplify calculations etc. by realising that the triangle that is half the given one, with sides 5, 13 has Pythagorean numbers, the other side (height) is 12.

epenguin said:
You can maybe simplify calculations etc. by realising that the triangle that is half the given one, with sides 5, 13 has Pythagorean numbers, the other side (height) is 12.
I have already taken that into account and set up a similar triangle property ##\frac{13}{d}=\frac{12}{a} ##

Likes epenguin

1. What is the definition of area?

The area of a shape is the measurement of the surface or region enclosed by the shape's boundaries.

2. How do you calculate the area of a square?

The formula for finding the area of a square is side length squared. So, if the side length of a square is 5 units, the area would be 5 squared (5 x 5) which equals 25 square units.

3. How do you draw a square inside a triangle?

To draw a square inside a triangle, first draw a line from one vertex of the triangle to the opposite side, creating two smaller triangles. Then, draw a perpendicular line from the midpoint of the side of the original triangle to the line you just drew, creating a right angle. This will be one side of the square. Repeat this process for the other two sides of the triangle to complete the square.

4. What is the relationship between the area of a square and the area of a triangle?

The area of a square drawn inside a triangle is half the area of the original triangle, as long as the square is drawn in a way that its four sides are all tangent to the sides of the triangle.

5. Can the area of a square drawn inside a triangle be larger than the area of the triangle?

No, the area of the square will always be smaller than the area of the triangle, as the square is contained within the triangle and can never have a larger area.