1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: What is the asympote of this graph?

1. Aug 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How come the graph of y = 2^x has a negative x-axis as an asympote. And what is the asympote of this graph?

2. Relevant equations

An asympote is a line that approaches the graph but does not intersect as x increases or decreases.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the graph of y = 1/2^x has an asympote which is y = 0 because its closer to the y=0. But for y= 2^x, i only see the numbers increasing, would the asympote be y = - 2
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

Re: Asympote

Because as x gets more and more negative, y = 2^x gets closer to zero. The horizontal asymptote is the line y = 0.
    I think you have this backwards. An asymptote is a line that the graph approaches. A curve can intersect or cross a horizontal asymptote for values of |x| that are relatively small, but won't intersect or cross when x is large or is very negative.
    y = 2^x is defined for all real numbers x. You're focusing on large values of x. The curve is asymptotic to the x-axis for x approaching -infinity. The graphs of y = 2^x and y = 2^(-x) are reflections of each other across the y-axis, so if one has the positive x-axis as its horizontal asymptote (y = 2^(-x) = 1/2^x), the other will have the negative x-axis as its horizontal asymptote.
  4. Aug 17, 2010 #3
    Re: Asympote

in the graph 2^x, doesn't matter what value for x, y NEVER can be zero or negative, because this is exponential relation. try x=-100000000, y is extremely small but can never be zero. The asymptote for that graph is y=0, where y can never approach value closer to zero.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook