Exponential function with negative base

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of negative bases in exponential functions and how it affects their graphs. The original function, -2^x = y, appears to be a reflection of 2^x across the x-axis when graphed, but this does not make sense for certain x values. It is then clarified that the base must be written in parentheses for it to be negative, and attempting to solve equations with a negative base on a graphing calculator may not work.
r0bHadz

Homework Statement

-2^x = y

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I plug this function in my graphing calculator, it appears to be 2^x reflected across the x axis.

This doesn't make sense to me. For example, for x values of 1 and 2, the value of y is not on the same half of the graph.

Why is the graph then a reflection of 2^x?

Physics news on Phys.org
r0bHadz said:

Homework Statement

-2^x = y

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I plug this function in my graphing calculator, it appears to be 2^x reflected across the x axis.

This doesn't make sense to me. For example, for x values of 1 and 2, the value of y is not on the same half of the graph.

Why is the graph then a reflection of 2^x?
If you really want the base to be negative you need it to be in parentheses.

(−2)^x

What you graphed was y = −(2^x)

Likes YoungPhysicist and r0bHadz
SammyS said:
If you really want the base to be negative you need it to be in parentheses.

(−2)^x

What you graphed was y = −(2^x)
wooooww -_- i can't believe this right now. thanks mate lol.

Just a quick note here, computing questions with negative base of any kind won’t work on a graphing calculator, for instance:
$$(-2)^x= 16$$
Though we all know the answer is x=4, it will throw an exception.

YoungPhysicist said:
Just a quick note here, computing questions with negative base of any kind won’t work on a graphing calculator, for instance:
$$(-2)^x= 16$$
Though we all know the answer is x=4, it will throw an exception.

Right, and depending on exactly how powerful the calculator is, an entry like ##(-2)^{3.5}## will either give a "NO ANSWER" style of message, or else will output a complex number. Similarly, an equation like ##(-2)^x = 3.5## will choke a typical graphing calculator.

Likes YoungPhysicist

1. What is an exponential function with a negative base?

An exponential function with a negative base is a mathematical function of the form y = a^x, where a is a negative number. This means that the base, or the number being raised to a power, is negative.

2. What is the difference between an exponential function with a negative base and one with a positive base?

The main difference is that an exponential function with a negative base will alternate between positive and negative values as the exponent increases, while an exponential function with a positive base will always result in positive values.

3. Can an exponential function with a negative base have a negative exponent?

Yes, an exponential function with a negative base can have a negative exponent. This will result in a fraction as the answer, with the numerator being 1 and the denominator being the value of the function with the positive exponent.

4. How do you graph an exponential function with a negative base?

To graph an exponential function with a negative base, you can use a table of values to plot points and then connect them with a smooth curve. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or software to plot the function.

5. What are some real-life applications of exponential functions with negative bases?

Exponential functions with negative bases can be used to model situations such as radioactive decay, population decline, or the decrease in value of an asset over time. They can also be used in finance to calculate compound interest or growth rates with a negative percentage.