What Is the Atomic Equivalent of the Wood-Saxon Potential?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter BRN
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Atomic Potential
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
BRN
Messages
107
Reaction score
10
Hi at all!
This is not a homework or simila, so I'm sorry if I post my question in a wrong section, but I do not know where to post it.

In the nuclear case, the Wood-Saxon potential is the main empirical potential used to describe the nucleus.
What would be the analogue in the atomic case?
The potentials of Morse and Lennard-Jons are related to the molecules, I would need one relative to the single atom.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you are after. A single atom doesn't have a potential. Are you looking for a potential for the electrons in an atom?

If it is the latter you are after, the closest thing I can think of would be something like quantum defect theory.