What is the atomic mass number of an element with given mass and number density?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 9K views
mawalker
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
sorry, I'm having trouble grasping a lot of this... i feel like i have a general understanding of what's going on but a lot of the problems are still confusing to me...

this problem

An element in its solid phase has mass density 1750 kg/m3 and number density 4.39 * 10^28 atoms/m3.

asks what is the element's atomic mass number

i thought that it should just be 4.39*10^28 divided by 1.661 *10^-27 = u, but then I'm not sure where the mass in kg comes into play
 
Physics news on Phys.org
yeah, i know the atomic unit number but how does it relate to mass density?
 
can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm still not getting this :bugeye:
 
[tex]\rho=nm[/tex]

where rho is the mass density, n is the number density and m is the mass of the atoms.