What Is the Average Acceleration of a Downhill Skier?

  • Thread starter Thread starter never-enough21
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acceleration Slope
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
never-enough21
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
This might be an extremely easy question and I'm just over-thinking it, but could someone give me a hand with some grade 10 physics?

1. A downhill skier has an initial speed of 2.5 m/s. She accelerates up to a speed of 20 m/s in 3.8 s.

a) Calculate the average acceleration of the skier.


Okay, so I know that acceleration equals velocity over time, but I'm slightly confused. So I know how to calculate the acceleration of 20 m/s in 3.8 s. Which is ... (about) 5.26. But, I get stuck here.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how to find the average acceleration.
 
Last edited:
No, your answer isn't correct. Average acceleration is the change in velocity over a given time interval. So what's the velocity at the beginning of your time interval, and what is it at the end?

Do you recognize this: [tex]a_{ave} = \Delta v / \Delta t[/tex]
 
[tex]a_{ave} = \frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t} = \frac {v_{final} - v_{initial} }{t_{final} - t_{initial} }[/tex]

it is definition :wink:
 
Last edited: