What is the average force exerted by the ball on the wall

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of impulse and average force exerted by a ball on a wall based on its initial and final velocity, angle of impact, and contact time. The formula F=ma is used to find the acceleration vector, which in turn is used to calculate the average force exerted. The impulse is then found by subtracting the initial and final velocities and solving for the difference.
Chrisleo13
A 425 g ball with a speed v of 6.5 m/s strikes a wall at an angle of 30° and then rebounds with the same speed and angle. It is in contact with the wall for 9.0ms. (a) What is the impulse on the ball (take positive as down in the figure)?

b. What is the average force exerted by the ball on the wall (take positive as down in the figure)?

hmmm, I think i had it. I used

vi = v cos θˆi − v sin θˆj
vf = v cos θˆi +v sin θˆj

J = mvf − mvi

But I am still getting it wrong. Any help is helpful. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

find the acceleration vector from the inital and final velocity vectors and the change in time.

Plug that into F = ma

you now have the force.

Solve for Impulse using the same method.

vf - vi / t = a

I did that and didn't get it right when I plugged it into F= ma.

you want to break the vector velocities into components

1. What is the definition of average force?

Average force is the measurement of the amount of force applied over a period of time.

2. How is average force calculated?

The average force can be calculated by dividing the total force exerted by an object over a period of time by the duration of time.

3. How is average force different from instantaneous force?

Average force takes into account the duration of time over which the force is applied, whereas instantaneous force is the measurement of force at a specific moment in time.

4. How does the mass of the object affect the average force?

The mass of the object does not directly affect the average force. However, the greater the mass, the more force is required to cause a change in its motion, which can result in a higher average force.

5. Can average force be negative?

Yes, average force can be negative if the force is exerted in the opposite direction of motion. This can occur if the object is slowing down or changing direction.