1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the basicity of carbon: primary, secondary, tertiary

1. Dec 12, 2016 #1
    • Please post this type of questions in HW section using the template and showing your work.
    what is the basicity of carbon: primary, secondary, tertiary, e.g. in 1-adamantylamine (C connected with N is connected also with 3 other C, 2-adamantylamine (with two other C), 1-adamantymmethylamine (with just one next carbon)? more carbons connected to this first carbon: ...-C-NH2 makes it less basic, or more?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2016 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You could justify putting this in the chemistry rather than the homework section. I would expect the same factors as those which make dimethylamine a stronger base (in water) than trimethylamine (pK by about one pH unit) to apply. Only it seems to me they should apply in a purer form than in those floppier molecules, so the example is quite interesting. Ought rightly to be in the textbooks ahead of those examples.

What the pK's actually are I don't know. Sure they must both have been measured. I soon found but couldn't see because behind a pay wall a very complete study of the 1- compound http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/je00033a015, didn't find the 2-

Tell us if you find any answers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted