What is the best approach for an offshore oil worker to study physics?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Screamtruth
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Oil
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Screamtruth
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hey All,


I am an offshore oil worker and have a lot of time to devote to my studies of Physics.

I am interested in the pursuit of a general understanding of Relativity, Quantum, and Thoeretical Physics. Although I have a basic understanding of the concepts, I would like to ask the populus here what is the best avenue of approach in conquering this? I am looking for literature that will help aid me in this, but not the type of resources extending beyond my capablities.

Any suggestions?

thx,
Nathan
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Where are you starting from? How much math do you know (trigonometry, calculus, differential equations,...)? Have you studied classical physics (mechanics, E&M) at the level of a calculus-based introductory college/university course?
 

This doesn't answer your question, but I like this song and you might too.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
jtbell said:
Where are you starting from? How much math do you know (trigonometry, calculus, differential equations,...)? Have you studied classical physics (mechanics, E&M) at the level of a calculus-based introductory college/university course?

I am good on the clasical side, and I have Geo, Trig, and Algebra...as math history. I am an Instrumentation and Control Tech, so I use a lot of math on the calculations for different circuit types. I have no college level calc or physics though...The calculus is the kicker I am sure, but I have some resources and and understanding of the basic principles, but will require further study to keep up.