1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Trying to learn quantum physics on my own

1. Jul 22, 2017 #1
    I am a UK A levels ( highschool) graduate and on my gap year I want to learn quantum physics on my own and I really want to understand it properly. What are the best resources and approach to learn it should I watch Feynman lecture series or any playlist in YouTube? Are there any books for highschool graduates like me?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2017 #2
    Would really recommend to develop an intuitive understanding of probabilities and probability amplitudes. Feynaman's lectures Vol 3 chapter one and two deal with this in great detail. Also Physics videos by Eugene khutoryansky on youtube will help you understand a lot of basic quantum topics like spin and wavefunctions. If you are really serious about getting into quantum mechanics with solving problems get yourself a Griffith's textbook and MIT OCW lecture notes are a gold mine of information on the topic.

4. Jul 22, 2017 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

But what exactly is your intention in doing this? Do you simply wish to have a "flavor" of what QM is, or do you intend to have the same level of knowledge and expertise in QM as a physics major? The final goal will dictate the approach that you take.

If you only have A-level knowledge, please be aware that you do not have anywhere close to the mathematics that is required to be able to work through a QM text at the undergraduate level. Without being able to understand the mathematics and working through the examples and problems in a QM text, you will only get a superficial understanding of the subject.

Zz.

5. Jul 22, 2017 #4
    My aim ultimately is to complete my undergraduate as well as graduate in physics and I want to grasp as much knowledge as possible before I start my studies at the university next year. I am ready to build up my math skills if necessary but I need a guideway to learn it first. I don't want to pick up random topics.

6. Jul 22, 2017 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This isn't going to help you get a jump start because, given your background, it will have to be a very superficial treatment. Also, it's not a problem because you're already on the path to getting there.

7. Jul 22, 2017 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

What do you know already... algebra? trigonometry? calculus (differential and integral)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted