What is the Best Filler Material for Pillows?

• Thread starter Bararontok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, the conversation discusses different types of materials used as fillers for pillows and their benefits, such as feathers, buckwheat, foam, and down. There is also mention of using other objects, such as cats, as pillows. The conversation ends with a question about the ideal stiffness of a pillow and mattress.
Bararontok
What material is most suitable as a filler for pillows, which material can provide optimal comfort and neck support?

Examples of Filler Materials:

Feathers
Buckwheat
Cotton
Cloth Fibers
Synthetic Plastic Fibers
Foam
Viscoelastic Foam
Memory Foam
Latex
Compressed Air

Examples of Filler Materials Used For Bean Bag Pillows:

Dried Beans
PVC Pellets
Expanded Polystyrene
Expanded Polypropylene

Physics news on Phys.org
My favorite is down, specifically goose down. Feathers can be painful.

For me, it's a cheap, medium-density pillow - the $3 ones at Target. They only last about a year, just replace them now and then. Think of it as a sleep tax.

I do use a pillow liner though. Allergies, you know.

The filling? I know it's foam but I don't know exactly what kind.

Random foam, that's my answer.

Feathers for me, although down is definitely better. (Too expensive, though.)
I don't like foam, and I haven't any experience with those other things.

edit: Oh, hang on. I did actually use an inflatable pillow once in an emergency. Did not like it one little bit.

2nd edit: Buckwheat?! Who the hell stuffs a pillow with pancakes?

lisab said:
For me, it's a cheap, medium-density pillow - the $3 ones at Target. They only last about a year, just replace them now and then. Think of it as a sleep tax.

I do use a pillow liner though. Allergies, you know.

The filling? I know it's foam but I don't know exactly what kind.

Random foam, that's my answer.
For years I used soft foam and dacron stuffed pillows, they were very comfortable, but a couple of years ago Evo Child gave me a top of the line goose down pillow, something I would have never spent money on. Oh my gosh! It's the best pillow EVER. Just a tiny push will fluff the pillow up to conform to my head and neck in just the perfect way, it has helped with the pain I have (spine) so much. I lay there and think "this is heaven". I have been tested and am allergic to feathers, but this pillow came with two liners on it in addition to the basic cover. No allergy problems. Sometimes it pays to pay. :tongue: Considering how many years it will last, it's a good investment, I need to stop being such a cheapskate. Thank you Evo Child! Oh, and she also gave me my new bed, high tech foam stuff, again, it has done wonders for my hip pain. She takes care of her mom.

Please crate her up and send her to me.

Danger said:
Please crate her up and send her to me.
:rofl:

I use nails and thumb tacs - makes a man out of ya.

I've got a quiver of pillows for all occasions. Yes, even a buckwheat Sobakawa pillow, soft ones, firm ones, medium ones. They all lay on my bed. I'll put my head down to sleep with my best guestimate as to which one is "the one" for this evening's slumber. Some time into the night I'll get fed up with it, fling it across the room, and grab another. Sometime later in the night I will repeat that operation. And so on, and so on... Then the next morning I'll throw them all back on my bed and go out and face the day fully rested and refreshed :smile:

Now that I think back upon it, I recall that I have used a cat as a pillow a couple of times in the past. Lucy isn't too much into it, but her predecessor Dingbat McBeth loved it. His purring also served as a sleep aid.

Evo said:
My favorite is down, specifically goose down. Feathers can be painful.
You're giving me ideas. :uhh:

Last edited by a moderator:
dlgoff said:

You're going to leave that poor thing naked?! :bugeye:
Won't that adversely affect her omelet-laying ability?

edit: Of course, I've fallen asleep with my head on a pretty girl's lap a few times. Only once did I get my nose tweaked for warning her that I have a tendency to fluff my pillows.

Last edited:
dlgoff said:
So cute! Nice pen! But don't kill her! :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
Danger said:
edit: Oh, hang on. I did actually use an inflatable pillow once in an emergency. Did not like it one little bit.

If I have an inflatable pillow and it is too stiff because the air pressure inside it is too high, can I deflate the pillow to a lower air pressure so that it will be softer and provide better neck support?

My dream is to sleep on a pillow stuffed with kittens.

Buckwheat was cool and comfortable, but I never could afford one of my own.

Which should be stiff and which should be soft among the following objects: the pillow and the mattress?

What is the best filler material for pillows?

The best filler material for pillows depends on personal preference and needs. However, some of the most commonly used materials include down feathers, memory foam, polyester fibers, and buckwheat hulls.

What are the advantages of using down feathers as pillow filler?

Down feathers are known for their softness and fluffiness, providing a comfortable and luxurious feel. They also have good insulation properties, keeping the pillow warm in colder temperatures. Down pillows are also durable and can retain their shape for a long time.

What are the benefits of using memory foam as pillow filler?

Memory foam is known for its ability to conform to the shape of the head and neck, providing excellent support and relieving pressure points. It is also hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites, making it a suitable choice for people with allergies.

What are the drawbacks of using polyester fibers as pillow filler?

Polyester fibers are a more affordable option, but they tend to flatten and lose their shape over time. They also do not offer the same level of support and contouring as other materials such as memory foam or down feathers.

Are there any eco-friendly options for pillow filler?

Yes, some eco-friendly materials that can be used for pillow filling include bamboo fibers, organic cotton, and kapok fibers. These materials are sustainable and biodegradable, making them a more environmentally friendly choice.

Back