Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the Best Filler Material for Pillows?

1. Jun 28, 2013 #1
    What material is most suitable as a filler for pillows, which material can provide optimal comfort and neck support?

Examples of Filler Materials:

Feathers
    Buckwheat
    Cotton
    Cloth Fibers
    Synthetic Plastic Fibers
    Foam
    Viscoelastic Foam
    Memory Foam
    Latex
    Compressed Air

Examples of Filler Materials Used For Bean Bag Pillows:

Dried Beans
    PVC Pellets
    Expanded Polystyrene
    Expanded Polypropylene

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2013 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

My favorite is down, specifically goose down. Feathers can be painful.

4. Jun 28, 2013 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For me, it's a cheap, medium-density pillow - the $3 ones at Target. They only last about a year, just replace them now and then. Think of it as a sleep tax.

I do use a pillow liner though. Allergies, ya know.

The filling? I know it's foam but I don't know exactly what kind.

Random foam, that's my answer.

5. Jun 28, 2013 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Feathers for me, although down is definitely better. (Too expensive, though.)
    I don't like foam, and I haven't any experience with those other things.

edit: Oh, hang on. I did actually use an inflatable pillow once in an emergency. Did not like it one little bit.

2nd edit: Buckwheat?! Who the hell stuffs a pillow with pancakes?

6. Jun 28, 2013 #5

Evo

For years I used soft foam and dacron stuffed pillows, they were very comfortable, but a couple of years ago Evo Child gave me a top of the line goose down pillow, something I would have never spent money on. Oh my gosh!!! It's the best pillow EVER. Just a tiny push will fluff the pillow up to conform to my head and neck in just the perfect way, it has helped with the pain I have (spine) so much. I lay there and think "this is heaven". I have been tested and am allergic to feathers, but this pillow came with two liners on it in addition to the basic cover. No allergy problems. Sometimes it pays to pay. :tongue: Considering how many years it will last, it's a good investment, I need to stop being such a cheapskate. Thank you Evo Child! Oh, and she also gave me my new bed, high tech foam stuff, again, it has done wonders for my hip pain. She takes care of her mom.

7. Jun 28, 2013 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Please crate her up and send her to me.

8. Jun 28, 2013 #7

Evo

:rofl:

9. Jun 28, 2013 #8
    I liked memory foam for a while. Now I'm not sure what I have.

10. Jun 29, 2013 #9
    I use nails and thumb tacs - makes a man out of ya.

11. Jun 29, 2013 #10
    I've got a quiver of pillows for all occasions. Yes, even a buckwheat Sobakawa pillow, soft ones, firm ones, medium ones. They all lay on my bed. I'll put my head down to sleep with my best guestimate as to which one is "the one" for this evening's slumber. Some time into the night I'll get fed up with it, fling it across the room, and grab another. Sometime later in the night I will repeat that operation. And so on, and so on... Then the next morning I'll throw them all back on my bed and go out and face the day fully rested and refreshed :smile:

12. Jun 29, 2013 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Now that I think back upon it, I recall that I have used a cat as a pillow a couple of times in the past. Lucy isn't too much into it, but her predecessor Dingbat McBeth loved it. His purring also served as a sleep aid.

13. Jun 29, 2013 #12

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're giving me ideas. :uhh:

[Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  14. Jun 29, 2013 #13

Danger

Gold Member

You're going to leave that poor thing naked?! :bugeye:
    Won't that adversely affect her omelet-laying ability?

edit: Of course, I've fallen asleep with my head on a pretty girl's lap a few times. Only once did I get my nose tweaked for warning her that I have a tendency to fluff my pillows.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  15. Jun 29, 2013 #14

Evo

So cute!! Nice pen! But don't kill her! :frown:

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  16. Jun 29, 2013 #15

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

17. Jul 16, 2013 #16
    If I have an inflatable pillow and it is too stiff because the air pressure inside it is too high, can I deflate the pillow to a lower air pressure so that it will be softer and provide better neck support?

18. Jul 16, 2013 #17
    My dream is to sleep on a pillow stuffed with kittens.

19. Jul 16, 2013 #18

turbo

Gold Member

Buckwheat was cool and comfortable, but I never could afford one of my own.

20. Aug 8, 2013 #19
    Which should be stiff and which should be soft among the following objects: the pillow and the mattress?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook