What is the best material for making gears?

In summary, the best material to use for gears in a reciprocating engine is likely nylon, but other considerations such as cost, lifespan, lubrication, sound, and backlash must be taken into account.
Sameh soliman
For making gears as light and strong as possible, what is the best material to use?

Likes OmCheeto
Engineering news on Phys.org
Probably nylon. I know choice of material is sometimes dictated by possible failure modes. At college, our physics machinist maintained the school clock tower.

He used a brass gear at one juncture realizing if the clock hands froze in winter then this gear would shear sparing a possible catastrophic binding of the whole clock mechanism.

Likes krater
jedishrfu said:
Probably nylon. ...
hmmm... I'm not familiar with any cars with nylon transmission gears. :biggrin:

Likes russ_watters
They have other requirements such as low wear rates that the OP didn't mention.

There are lots of different "nylons" some are reinforced with other materials. Some even contain lubricants.

Since we are just guessing I'll add titanium while also saying that the constraint seems odd.

Likes CWatters
OmCheeto said:

Duh, how about model cars? :-)

Also, I didn't see where the OP mentioned cars in his/her post.

The biggest saving in weight is probably gained through using gears with several teeth in contact at the time, say an internal gear with a spur gear inside. Consider also Novikov or High-Conformal Gearing. That will also reduce the weight.

You could always cut smaller gears from a diamond with a laser.

OmCheeto said:
But nylon timing gears were once quite common, before the widespread adoption of timing chains.

Really, the "what is the best material for a gear?" question has no better answer than "It depends." All else being the same, stronger and lighter is better, but we also have to consider factors such as cost, expected lifetime, lubrication requirements, sound properties, acceptable backlash, ...

Likes Asymptotic, NTL2009 and OmCheeto
Nugatory said:
But nylon timing gears were once quite common, before the widespread adoption of timing chains.

Really, the "what is the best material for a gear?" question has no better answer than "It depends." All else being the same, stronger and lighter is better, but we also have to consider factors such as cost, expected lifetime, lubrication requirements, sound properties, acceptable backlash, ...
And size.

Biggest gear I could find: http://www.hmcgears.com/news-biggear.php diameter [22.6 ft or 6.88 meters]
Smallest gear I could find: smaller than some horrible looking bug

Sameh soliman said:
For making gears as light and strong as possible, what is the best material to use?

Sameh, can you please let us know how big your gears are going to be. And perhaps, the torque requirements?
I've been looking for a reverse gear for a bicycle for several years, and as far as I can tell, no one makes one.
So I'm going to have to make one myself. So the answer to your question will probably help me also. Thanks!

ps. I don't recall seeing any bicycle gears made of nylon either. hmmm... Guessing we're going to need to know if rocks and sticks and pant legs are going to be going through the gears. Ugh! Why does science have to be so complicated?

Nugatory said:
Unless Nylon or polymer gears are saturated with the right type of oil they will absorb water and other oil components which makes them swell by several percent during use.

Engines once used long trains of metal timing gears. They were heavy and noisy and would typically break teeth when an engine backfired. The capacitor in the magneto or distributor fails, so the timing gear train catastrophically consumes it's teeth.

Laminated composite gears made from fibre reinforced phenol polymers were used because they were lighter weight and were quieter, but the teeth wore down and the gear needed replacing. Laminated gears were substituted by light weight alloy gears that tended to bruise more quickly, or were brittle and fractured.

Steel timing chains were used but stretched as wear accumulated. Chains were noisy and heavy so they clatter when cold and fly out against the spring loaded tensioner blocks.

Stepped rubber belts were then used because they were light weight and quiet with longitudinal fibres to control stretch. But they have a limited life, so if you do not replace them, the engine loses phase and smashes the pistons against the valves, which today economically writes off the vehicle.

There is no one perfect solution to timing control in 4-stroke reciprocating engines.
Likewise, there is no perfect gear material or design. Lighter weight = less reliable = shorter life.

Likes berkeman
OP has not been back to clarify, so the thread is locked.

What is the best material for making gears?

The best material for making gears depends on the specific application and requirements. Some commonly used materials for gears include steel, cast iron, brass, and plastic. Each material has its own unique properties and advantages.

What are the key factors to consider when choosing a material for gears?

The key factors to consider when choosing a material for gears include the load and speed requirements, the environment in which the gears will operate, and the cost and availability of the material. It is important to select a material that can withstand the forces and conditions it will be subjected to.

Why is steel a commonly used material for gears?

Steel is a commonly used material for gears because it is strong, durable, and can withstand high loads and speeds. It is also readily available and cost-effective. Additionally, steel can be heat-treated to increase its hardness and wear resistance, making it suitable for a wide range of gear applications.

What are the advantages of using plastic gears?

Plastic gears have several advantages, including being lightweight, corrosion-resistant, and quieter than metal gears. They also have the ability to absorb shock and vibration, making them suitable for use in precision equipment. However, they may not be suitable for high-load or high-speed applications.

Are there any new materials being developed for gears?

Yes, there is ongoing research and development in the field of gear materials. Some new materials being explored for gear applications include composites, ceramics, and advanced plastics. These materials offer unique properties such as increased strength, wear resistance, and reduced weight. However, further testing and development are needed before they can be widely used in gear manufacturing.