1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the best route to go from IT to Science?

1. Apr 25, 2009 #1
    What is the best route to go from IT to Science?

I have an undergrad in Computer Science completed in 1997 and have over 12 years experience in programing, software design, technical writing, telecom, & Point-of-Sale software. I am willing to go into any area of science, and I would like to spend the least amount of time in school as possible due to financial issues.

I am especially interested in the physical sciences & astronomy and have many skills in computation to offer the science world. I did well in math and science while in school.

I am grateful to hear anyone's suggestions or know-how in the matter?

- Stellar05

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF, stellar. You will enjoy your time here.

Are you considering the Community College route for an AS, or some other school route? I think that embedded systems programming will offer you a good way to change over from more of an IT path to an engineering path.

You can also pick up a lot of this on your own, by getting a microcontroller (uC) plus CPLD evaluation board plus complers, and building up some projects on your own. If you pick up Assembly/C programming for popular uCs, plus Verilog/VHDL/AHDL programming of CPLD logic devices, you will be very marketable in the EE / embedded systems market.

Can you tell us a little more about your background and where you want to go?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  4. Apr 25, 2009 #3
    Hi Berkeman,
    Thanks for replying to my post. I have a bachelors of science in Computer Science. My background starts in programming and leads up to software design which is what I do now. At work, I create flowcharts, sequence diagrams, functional specs, & technical specs for merchant credit card software. I have experience in telecommunication software design as well. I belive that I should of posted my question to the career guidance and not academic guidance.

I learned both assembly and C in college. I don't really want to go into EE, I would rather go into a career involving research for pure physical science or perhaps even astronomy. I am not focusing on an area of science because I want to pick a science field which is the most accessible to me (requiring less academics as possible).

-Stellar05

5. Apr 25, 2009 #4
    Select a graduate program you would want to do and apply.

6. Apr 26, 2009 #5
    Will a masters degree be enough to be a researcher?

7. Apr 27, 2009 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Primary Investigators are generally PhDs or MDs, depending on the field. An MS-degreed person could participate in research, but generally would not lead the research.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook