What is the best source for COBE/WMAP/PLANCK mission data on the early universe?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter RJLiberator
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Data
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
RJLiberator
Gold Member
Messages
1,094
Reaction score
63
I have a tool that assesses data in latitude/longitude/"data" format as to whether the data is clustered or if there is a pattern and to what scale.

I would like to assess some of the COBE/WMAP/PLANCK data regarding the very early universe.

I got this idea after being in lecture and an image like this came up:

https://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/media/121238/index.html

This is the all-sky picture of the infant universe created from WMAP data. It is the old temperature fluctuations. My tool can be ran over this as the data was made to be LAT/LONG/"Data" format (since they made this image).

However, I am looking at https://lambda.gsfc.nasa.gov/product/cobe/
and through the various data screens, I can't seem to find any data that fits what I am looking for.

So I am here to ask if you guys know of any data or are better versed in finding the data from the COBE/WMAP/PLANCK missions.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think what you want is this FIRAS CMB temperature map. Download the .fits file and use pyfits to extract the data. It will take some work to massage it into the format you need.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: RJLiberator
Thanks for getting back to me on this. Sorry it took so long for me to respond, this is a bit of a side project. I'll try to massage the data from this link.