Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the best Unix like OS for mathematical computation?

1. Jul 19, 2011 #1
    I want to basically have a dedicated machine for running scientific computation programs and be able to access it remotely anywhere using a laptop/netbook. That means I don’t care much about GUIs. I’m used to using Unix and am perfectly fine with doing everything through a command window. At the same time however, I’m not a skilled programmer and want whichever is easiest to set-up and run things on. I also, need the OS to be able to run MATLAB.

So basically I want to find out which is the best OS for creating numerical analysis programs in C/C++/Fortran/MATLAB which leads me to these questions:

• Which one would be the most powerful in regard to numerical analysis and solving complex equations
    • Which would be best/run most efficiently on PC hardware?
    • Which is the easiest to set-up remote access to?

Also on a slightly related topic, can I just build my own home server for cheap? By cheap I mean a budget under $2,500

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2011 #2
    I think the better unix OS is debian, but it's something complicated for using because need knowledge of shell script , so I recommend you to use Ubuntu.

And the server... you can turn your computer in server, there is a lot of software to can do this.

4. Jul 24, 2011 #3

jhae2.718

Gold Member

I haven't used it myself, but Scientific Linux, which is a joint project of FermiLab and CERN, might fit your needs. It's based on RHEL.

http://www.scientificlinux.org/

Any of the Linuxes should work, though. Not sure about BSDs, with ports it might work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook